Avandia User Reviews

Avandia - User Reviews

Avandia User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Avandia sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Victim of Avandia, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 13

I have taken this medication for the last 10 years. When I heard on the news about how this pill could cause heart attack, I stopped taking it immediately. Little did I know that this pill was the cause of my weight gain (more than 100 pounds in 10 years). I could never pin point what was the cuase of my weight gain. When I stopped, I started loosing weight right away. I have lost 40 pounds in 6 months. Not only did it caused weight gain, I was retaining fluid in my legs, face, arms. I was to the point of hardly walking. I was fatigued with any minimal move, short of breath. Now, I'm a new person. I feel great, can walk very fast now. No shortness of breath. I can go up the stairs with no problem at all. I feel that this pill took 10 years out of my life. I'm 61 years old and now I feel so good that I can't stress enough how horrible this pill can be.

Related Reading: heart attack | stress

Comment from: Sassy1, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 09

This drug nearly killed me! It cause edema everywhere, especially in heart/chest cavity. I felt so bad I was sure I was dying (found out later I was a small step from a heart attack). I happened to tell my Mom one day how bad I felt and that I was taking Avandia. She flipped and told me to stop taking ASAP, then told me of the side effects being advetised on TV. She was right as it turned out. It took 4 months for all the side effects to completely disappear. Then I felt great until metformin & glipizide weren't enough, so started Byetta. What a wonderful drug! Lost over 45 pounds in less than 7 months w/o even trying, blood sugars are normal & HbA1c is down to 6.1 from 8. Endocrinologist expects diabetes to disappear with enough weight loss. Avandia can be a killer, so beware!

Related Reading: edema | Avandia | Byetta

Comment from: beloved732005@aol.com, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 17

i have been taking avandia for almost 4 years and i went to a heart dr a year ago for a routine check up and i was fine he said there was nothing wrong. Now this year when i went for my yearly diabetic heart check up i was diagnosed with palpitations, sinus tachycardia, and P.A.F . i was taken off of the avandia the week i was diagnosed with all of this. I dont know if it was the avandia or not but no one in my family has no heart problems at all except me now. I do think it was because i was on avandia for so long. Anybody taking it i suggest you talk to your dr about other medications instead of the avandia it has ruined my life.

Related Reading: palpitations

Comment from: Gloria, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 19

I am an insulin dependent diabetic they call me brittle. I started using Avandia two years ago and it was so good I didn't have to use insulin any more the pill did it all. Then after two years it stopped working cold turkey. I am now back to insulin only. No other oral medication works. I would like to know why Avandia all of a sudden stopped working. No one has an answer.?

Comment from: saturn60, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 19

I was on avandia for nine years and gained over 150 pounds! I felt tired all the time, had swelling of my legs and developed anemia. I finally insisted that my Dr. change my medication. I am now on byetta and have never felt better almost an immediate change. Don't underestimate the dangers of this drug!

Related Reading: anemia

Comment from: jerryokie, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 25

Using Avandia caused me to end up in ER twice and admitted to a hospital once. My heart developed atrial fibrulation. It should be banned in the U.S.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 06

I have been satisfied with the controlling of my diabetic condition since taking Avandia. I have however gained weight as well and am wondering if it is because of the medicine. Others have told me that they experienced weight gain as well and went off Avandia and began other medication because of the considerable gain.

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 18

Avandia (Actos did the same thing) irregular heartbeat so bad I had to be taken to the ER twice within 2 months of taking them. Why are the drugs not tested & made less harmful to take than the condition we take them for? I take Glipizide & Metformin as well & the Avandia didn't bring my blood sugar down much but caused several mild errythemias that stopped on their own but 2 caused admission to hospital after ER. Same with Actos. Pretty bad when the medicine makes you sicker than you were before taking it! I thought medicine was supposed to be helpful. Most are harmful.

Related Reading: Actos