Avonex User Reviews

Avonex - User Reviews

Avonex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Avonex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: natural girl, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 02

I was very lucky to have had a great nurse to show me how to inject myself. She gave me great advice about dealing with flu like symptoms. On the day of my shot I drink lots of water throughout the day (about 3 sports bottles full) I refer to it as "water boarding" that one day. I take the AVONEX out of the fridge 2-3 hours before injection. I make sure I have food in my stomach, then take 2 aleves 1 hour before shot, use ice in a ziplock bag on my thigh for about 20-30 minutes. Now that I use the shorter needle it is much less scary to give myself the shot. It is important to do this routine similarly each week. The ultra hydration helps tremendously as does the aleve. Now I only experience a little tiredness for half the next day, the flu-like aches and pains are virtually gone; I believe because of the water. Don't get me wrong I still freak out a bit everytime I have the needle in my hand but I just tell myself this is no big deal and I get through it. A positive attitude certainly makes all of this easier.

Related Reading: flu | AVONEX

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 17

I was diagnosed in June '08. Steroids only til Jan. '10, when I had my second attack. Now, I have been on Avonex for about 5 months. I just had my first MRI since starting the medication. I have no major changes since Jan. '10. I even had one legion healing according to my doctor. The self-injection is a piece of cake for me, it does hurt a bit, but its better than being in wheel chair. I take 800mg advil prior to my shot. Stay positive and do what your doctors says. This is not the end of the world, for any of us.

Comment from: denescacchetti, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 07

I hsve been on this drug since 1990 when it was still in clinical trials. In the begining the flu like symptoms were bad. Took Tylenol one hour before injection and went to bed for the night. Woke up feeling sluggish and tired but after all these years I can take my injection anytime in the day and be fine. For those people struggling with the side effects all I can say is tough it out. It DOES get better and it IS worth it! In almost twenty years I have had about 6 mild attacks. None of them even bad enough to effect my everyday living. Compared to how I was the prior 10 years when I didn't know what was wrong with me I can tell you that I would be totaly crippled without it. There was a point before the medication that I couldn't walk. I am still completely ambulatory and now have severe arthritis. If anything is going to cripple me it arthritis not MS. Stay with it! The injections are hard to deal with but everytime I inject with that long needle I tell myself that it's this or a wheelchair and it gets me thru it. If you have someone to help you inject, try your hips. Much better and less pain. Please stay with it. It's the best drug out there!

Related Reading: Tylenol | arthritis

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 28

I was diagnosed with MS 4 months ago and started on Avonex. I have had mild flu-like symptoms, slight irribility the next couple of days after my shot, bruising on my legs from the shots. My legs are more sensitive for some reason than my arms or hips. Now, I don't have to deal with the flu-like symptoms as long as I wait until bedtime to give myself the shot. I also take 2 Aleve about an hour before I give myself the Avonex injection. I usually wake up once or twice during the night, but feel ok, maybe a little achey. If I do, I just take 2 more Aleve. The other thing I found that helps me sleep through the symptoms is an electric blanket. I just put it on Low and go to sleep. The warmth helps with any flu-like achey muscles and there is no side effects! The thing that bothers me the most is that I have been experiencing some hair loss. Not too bad yet, but if it continues, I will probably ask my doctor if I can switch meds. The last thing I can think of that might help is that my doctor gave me a prescription for Lyrica 75 mg to use for nerve pain. I use it as a pain pill, not a medicine to take routinely. That way when I really feel like I can't stand my nerves burning in my leg, foot, etc., I take 1 Lyrica. My PCP put me on it this way and then my neurologist confirmed that he had also placed patients on Lyrica to use just for nerve pain (as needed) and patients were reporting good results back. I know it's important to stay healthy, especially our livers, so the less medicine the better! I know I've written a small novel, but hopefully I have helped someone.

Related Reading: sleep | hair loss | Lyrica

Comment from: Avonex veteran, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 25

I have been on Avonex for fourteen years. Had previously tried Betaseron but had to quit after a few doses due to side effects. Since on Avonex I have remained stable with no attacks. This was confirmed by a recent MRI to check for progression. The MRI came back negative with no active lesions. I no longer have side effects at all, don't even premedicate. Had some side effects, mainly fatigue, when I first started therapy. They dwindled over time and soon went away. I should add that I did get some side effects when going to the prefilled syringe, so I quickly went back to the original powdered form which I remain on to this day. In summary, I am very satisfied with Avonex. It has kept my MS at bay. Self -injecting has become little more than a minor inconvenience with virtually no side effects

Related Reading: Betaseron | fatigue