Avonex User Reviews

Avonex - User Reviews

Avonex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Avonex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Scrambled Brains, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been injecting Avonex since the spring of 1997 and I truly credit this medication for enabling me to lead a productive life nearly free of MS exacerbations. The exacerbations (2) since beginning this medication were mild in comparison to the pre-diagnosis episodes. Coining the phrase" I have MS, but Ms does not have me!"

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 01

I have been on Avonex for nine years and have very few relapses. The side effects lessen over time.

Comment from: Sasha, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 23

Avonex made me feel really, really bad for first 2 months. Fever, nauseous, dizzy and aches all over by body. But after that, I felt fine. Everything ended. The shots use to bother me a lot because I wasn't use to the long needle. But now it's a piece of cake. I like taking it once a week instead of everyday like Copaxone. No bumps are bruises from Avonex.

Related Reading: Fever | Copaxone | bruises

Comment from: NYC, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 30

I am just coming up to 5 years on Avonex. I have been fortunate in that the two company's I have worked for during this time have a medical centre so I have a nurse administer the injection. I still can not get my head around doing it myself. This is an issue because I feel dependent on someone else and often makes me wonder what I will eventually have to do when this facility is not there for me. Still have side effects, mostly muscle ache, which tends to vary week-to-week. 3 tylenol about an hour before and for the next day tends to help a great deal. I have not had a flare up as bad as the one I had shortly before being diagnosed. That said, I can't tell you it is because of Avonex. In the last few months I have felt more lethargic and fatigued. Again, I don't know if this is due to Avonex or the fact I stopped smoking pot and started Lexapro, which I am also starting to ween myself off of. I am currently considering stopping Avonex as well to see if I can live/cope with no medication what so ever. Overall, I cant say it is not helping so would suggest you go with your doctors advice. What ever you decide I wish you luck and, remember, you are not alone.

Related Reading: smoking | Lexapro

Comment from: wayne, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 19

i have been taking for almost 6 years first year was bad chills. learn to stay warm before an after shot. i drive truck an have good an bad days just learn to pace yourself but do not baby yourself you have to push harder to keep going learn not give up are lose faith.i give my shot in the leg rotating every week,i do beleive it helps but i keep my faith an dont stop working keep pushing myself,i am 50 years of age,please i repeat dont give up keep pushing

Comment from: TOYOMAN, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 22

BEEN USING AVONEX SINCE INITIAL DIAGNOSES 8 YRS. AGO. STARTED WITH MIXING NOW USING PREFILLED SYRINGES. SIDE EFFECTS MINIMAL AND ONLY OCCURRED DURING INITIAL START OF MEDICATION AND WHEN BIOGEN SWITCHED TO PREFILLED. NO PROBLEM WITH INJECTION CONSIDER WAY OF LIFE. AT 50 YEARS OLD HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT AND MAINTAINED HEALTHY LIFESTYLE FOR 15+YEARS. RELASPING RECURRING WITH NO SIGNIFICANT PROGRESSION SAYS IT ALL ABOUT EFFECTIVNESS OF DRUG. WOULD NOT CONSDER SWITCHING TO ORAL AT THIS TIME, SIDE EFFECTS SOUND MORE SEVERE.

Comment from: a_krausa, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 07

I am back up on my feet and walking again.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 27

So far so good on Avonex. Just diagosed in January so this is my 1st treatment drug. I have gotten use to the injections, just another part of my weekly routine. I have regained a more normal walking ability since taking Avonex so that is great!! The once a week injection is more convenient than the others, everyday or 3 times a week. The flu like symptoms have all but gone away. Mostly I feel very drained the day after my shot but it's totally manageable.

Comment from: abc, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 29

I have been on and off Avonex since early 2000; it's now early 2008. (time on 4-5 years) I was on and off because I had 3 pregnancies/2 babies. I had good results and I tolerated the symptoms well until I went on again after my second baby's birth last spring. The flulike symptoms are bothering me now; maybe partially because I'm so sleep deprived with the new baby. I also had a flareup and new lesions on a recent mri so my dr. wants me to go on Rebif now.

Related Reading: Rebif