Avonex User Reviews

Avonex - User Reviews

Avonex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Avonex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: sunwindandrain, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 02

I have had MS for over 30 years. I took Avonex for close to ten years. Originally I improved on it. In the last two years, the flu-like side effects would NOT quit . . . and I was getting 4 exacerbations a year, Overall, I was deteriorating--to the point I started handicapping the house. Two years ago, I switched to hyperbaric oxygen and low dose naltrexone . . . and I have not looked back. I have gone from not being able to walk from one end of the house to the other to hauling concrete blocks around the backyard.

Comment from: Sherif Nashaat, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 16

I was diagnosed since a year. I started taking Avonex as my first medication 5 weeks ago. I didn't take any thing else before then. The first time injecting it was by my mother, I wasn't comfortable to self injection so she just pressed the needle in my thigh and i continued the injection to prove to myself that i can do it. The second time i did the whole injection process by myself and then it became like a piece of cake. There is a trick that you can do to easy injection which is; compressing the part that you are going to inject with your fingers to gather your senses on the compression process not when the needle is getting in. Regarding the Side effects; i had a rise in the body temperature and body shakes for a couple of hours. These side effects are nearly vanished in the last injection (5th injection). I take 2 Panadol tablets before injection by one hour and anothor two after 4 hours. As i am still new to this medication i can't comment on its effectiveness but i hope it would be really helpful.

Comment from: Avonexveteran, Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am a true Avonex veteran, been on it over fifteen years (since June 96). I had several exacerbations prior to starting Avonex. The latter one landed me in the hospital and on steroids. Had some Avonex side effects early-on but they soon went away. More importantly I have remained stable with no attacks since on the drug. Now I self-inject weekly and its little more than a minor inconvenience. I know some can't tolerate Avonex , but for me its been a godsend. I fully expect to be on it indefinitely, probably for the rest of my life. But that's OK with me and far better than the alternative!

Comment from: SISTA, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 13

I have been taking Avonex for 9yrs. I was diagnosed in 1990 & went on AVONEX 2002. I have not had a major exasserbation since being on avonex, but it seems side affects are getting really worse over time, has anyone else had this prob? I really do not want to have to stop.

Comment from: Yoyo, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 12

Diagnosed in 2008. Started out on Copaxon - had 4 flare ups and no changes to lesions. Started Avonex 1 year ago, lesions are smaller and no new ones! Injections hurt - but my husband gives to me so we can rotate sites. Flu like symptoms are lessening but not gone yet. Fevers/Chills - take tylenol. Headache (pretty bad) take darvon due to many allergies. Drink lots of water, take at 8:30 p.m. and crawl into bed for about 12 hours. Would recommend Avonex. Reactions to steriods are worse!

Related Reading: Headache | darvon

Comment from: mcadoo, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 30

Hello all - So, I have been on Avonex for 2.5 years now and it is working well for me but the reaction following injection is awful. I was diagnosed when I was 12 years old I am now 32 - My father is also my doctor so I have been in a unique position to try different rx's to combat the pain and flu-like symptoms; I have tried them ALL, stuff no one else would give me, but my dad did and with everything I tried, all of the prescriptions I tried for me 2 Aleve, Naproxen Sodium taken 1 hour before inj. works very well, also stronger things work even better in combination but some docs will not do it, Lortab, Norco, Vicodin etc. I take 1 Lortab also when I get my shot, it works great and I am hardly effected. I tried tylenol, motrin, all of the antipyretics (fever lowering meds)and none of them work as well or as long as the Aleve, be careful with your stomach - buffer it with some milk or ice cream or a couple of tums or prilosec etc. Also- I don't know if anyone has this but I ALWAYS have an elevated temp now that I am on the Avonex. If I get off it, discontinue therapy for a time, which I have, the temp goes away, does this occur with anyone else? Thank you all.

Related Reading: Norco | Vicodin | prilosec

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 04

I have been on Avonex since 4/1998. I am now on the prefilled syringes,but have been approved by my Dr. for the 25Gauge (1 inch) needle which makes the injections more torelable. This is due to the fact that I have a smaller frame. The 23Gauge (1 1/4 Inch)that comes in the prefilled honestly hurt too much when I injected. I have not had any exasberations since 1998, thank God and my lesions have lessoned with no new ones appearing. This Avonex had been wonderful in keeping my MS under control. Never had Flu-like symptoms until I started having problems with my old pharmacy. I changed pharmacies and have not had any since. I believe they didn't refrigate it properly. Also started giving it early in the a.m. like at 9:00 and that really helped. Read that in MS Focus Magazine. I hope this info helps everyone & good luck to all.

Multiple Sclerosis