Azilect User Reviews

Azilect - User Reviews

Azilect User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Azilect sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: willie, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 15

It has greatly reduced hand tremor. No more shuffling of feet. Have more pep and move quicker. No side effects

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 05

Took this after Neupro patch was recalled. During and after adjustment, experienced more syptoms of Parkinsons that weren't an issue. Drowsiness, decreased mental speed, decreased physical speed, stiffness, and aches were all new symptoms. Never had 'Parkinsons Mask' until I took this drug. 3 days after discontinuing the Azilect, I am myself again-moving better, no aches, mentally clearer. Was almost as though taking this medication literally gave me Parkinsons! I suddenly had outward symptoms that I'd never experienced before. I hear for some this med works well, but I fear someone may do as I did, mistake the side effects for the disease. After discontinuing Azilect, I am back to my old self.

Related Reading: Neupro | Azilect

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 25

takes a while to adjust to higher dose. found this to be an effective drug and worth the adjustment period

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 09

I was diagnosed with early Parkinson's disease a few months ago, and put on a course of 1 mg Azilect daily. My symptoms- balance difficulties, muscular rigidity, stiff gait, lethargy- have all improved. I now need fewer midday naps and have more energy. This has been a significantly beneficial treatment with no obvious side-effects.

Related Reading: Parkinson's disease

Comment from: PaLJ, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 14

I was diagnosed several month ago and put on Azalect..I had some memory problems then but they seem to have spiraled out of control. I have trouble recalling words, i forget easily..Has anyone else experienced this? My Dr. didn't think it was the drug.

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 31

I have been taking this drug for nearly 1 year, and it has been very effective in treating the symptoms that were bothering me the most. The armswing is no longer restricted and the constant hand tremors have completely disappeared, with only an occasional hand or arm twitch still evident. The most frightening things were occasional episodes of complete disorientation, when I would lost awareness of where I was or what I was doing. These spells would last 30-60 seconds, and have now completely ceased. The only disturbing symptom still evident is an occasional slight balance problem. I am very happy with this medication, and so is my physician, who has pronounced my condition and progression as remarkable.

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: veena, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 15

with this drug my tremors and propulsion is less. more self confidence.dysuria is also less. subjective well being is more. BUT its very costly

Comment from: Kamanjah, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 24

If you are on this medication, you need to wear a med-alert bracelet or necklace. Emergency general anesthesia could kill you. My husband was scheduled for knee replacement surgery. His surgeon said it was ok to keep taking the Azilect. His family doctor gave him samples and cleared him for surgery on the same day. The day before the scheduled surgery, the anesthesiologist (Dr. Fong) called stating she would have to postpone surgery because of the Azilect. We learned a lot about Azilect contraindications from Dr. Fong. She told of nightmare surgeries where true emergency operations had to be done and the patients almost died from reactions with the Azilect. Some patients did die. We had to postpone the surgery and he had a spinal instead of general when the surgery was done. The PA who wrote his post op orders apparently did not realize that demerol is contraindicated with Azilect use and wrote for demerol for post op pain. Fortunately I was there and stopped the administration of the drug. Parkinson's patients who are truly helped by this medication need to know ALL the grisly facts and dangers so they can decide for themselves if the medication is appropriate for them and know they need to discontinue use at least 14 days prior to any procedure using any anesthetic, including dental. Hopefully a consult with your pharmacist will make you aware of any possible interactions with medications you currently take - and ask about all supplements too, some are not safe to use with Azilect. My husband is in a line of work where there is a high risk of injury. We decided that the dangers of Azilect outweighed the benefits and decided to discontinue use permanently. Azilect is an old drug with a new name. Most clinical trials were done with "mono therapy" meaning no other drugs were involved. Some trials allowed use of carbidopa/l-dopa. No trials involving anesthesia were done (per Dr. Fong). If this information helps one person, the time I have spent is worth it!!

Related Reading: demerol

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.