Byetta User Reviews

Byetta - User Reviews

Byetta User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Byetta sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: bloopie, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 02

Started with A1C of 7.5,after 9 months am down to 4.8. I also started at 425 lbs and am now at 372. 53 lbs lost in 9 months so I can't complain. Some nausea after injecting but I found when I ate slower and smaller amounts that I didn't have the sick feeling as much. For me, the nausea, vomiting, etc. was really about how healthy I was eating while taking Byetta. In my opinion, you CAN NOT take Byetta and continue to eat like you did before--when you do, that's when you get the side effects.

Comment from: tnjrichter, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 04

I have used Byetta for almost 8 months and I love it. My doctor & I have spent so many years trying to get by b/s under control and this is the only med that has worked. The only complaint I have is that every pen is different; my body reacts differently. I have learned that the first 2 days of the new pen can be miserable but I learn what and when I can eat. My heart medication has been cut in half and I feel awesome. Thanks to my doctor encouraging me into using Byetta.

Comment from: sweet pea, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 04

I have been on Byetta for 14 mo. and i have lost 103 lbs. with hard work and watching what i eat every meal. I wk out at the gym 5 or 6 times a wk. and for 45 mins. to an hour.my son has helped me a lot.

Comment from: Ondi, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 21

This is day 17 on Byetta and I have almost no appetite, had no upset stomach to speak of and love the fact that I've discarded prandin, cut my Avandia in half and will soon discard that and 1/2 the metformin. I've been type 2 for more than 30 years. My daughter is a physician and says "You'll never lose weight on those pills. We give them to people and tell them to go lose weight. It's not going to happen." My overweight friend was diagnosed a year and a half ago and put on the usual pill combo and gained 25 lbs. the first month. Then her dr. prescribed Byetta. Over the last year she's lost 50 lbs without any change in her behavior and no increase in exercise. I can't wait to go on 10mcg a day and will put up with whatever the side effects are in exchange for NO appetite and the subsequent weight loss. I'm the only fattie in my family and have been miserable about it for 40 years. Reading all these testimonials has given me a boost. Thanks!

Related Reading: prandin | Avandia

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 08

I've been diabetic for 15 years and A1C was over 9. I been taking Byetta for a little over two years. I can't say enough good things about it. At first I had all the normal symptoms but they went away and I lost about 46 lbs and have kept it off for well over a year now. A1Cs have been great - between 5 and 6. Don't plan to ever give it up!

Comment from: sem57@comcast.net, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 03

My A1C has dropped to 6 in 6 months. In Jan of 2007 it was 11. I have lost 40 pounds and feel better than I have in years.

Comment from: Sassy 1, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 09

What a great drug! I had a predisposition for weight-related Type 2 diabetes. In 1987 i started gaining 20 pounds per month so went to doc who checked my thyroid function and then misread it (always get copies of your bloodwork!!), telling me it was normal. Over the next 7 years I gained about 140 pounds and Type 2 diabetes along with Restless Leg Syndrome. After getting my thyroid under control, I started on other meds such as Avandia, which nearly killed me via fluid retention in chest/heart cavities. In the end I was on Metformin (2000 mg daily) and glipizide (5 mg). When these weren't enough, my endocrinologist gave me a choice of insulin or byetta. I chose the byetta and am I glad I did! Have been on it since Nov. '07 and have lost over 45 pounds. Since all this weight loss and blood sugars staying normal, I have been having low blood sugar episodes down in the 40's and 50's. Solid food will not bring it back up quickly because of the slowed digestion process, so must resort to sugar drinks or apple juice. The low blood sugar episodes happen fairly quickly after an injection. It may be time to cut back on other diabetes meds. Endocrinologist fully expects the diabetes and borderline high blood pressure to disappear with enough weight loss. I had some light nausea when first starting, but it went away quickly. Docs advise eating only when hungry and have lost the weight w/o even trying. It does make you feel bloated after eating due to the slowed digestion and feeling fuller longer, but this is acceptable for the benefits achieved. My HbA1c has dropped from 8 to 6.1 in feb.'s check. I have no injection pain due to a numb spot on my stomach from a tubal ligation, just some redness and occassionally a minor skin tear from the very fine needle and not holding it completely still. I do agree with a previous reviewer...every pen seems to be different. One pen was so hard to push I got a lot of skin tears. I love this stuff and can't say enough good things about it!!!

Related Reading: diabetes | Restless Leg Syndrome | cavities