Canasa User Reviews

Canasa - User Reviews

Canasa User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Canasa sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 14

After much resistance to using this medication my ulcerative colitis was so bad that it was either this medication or injections. The medication was easy to use and no too hard to remember but I was not prepared for the very uncomfortable side effect of gas; the pressure would wake me from a sound sleep. I have since incorporated gas-x into my nightly ritual and am much happier for it. Overall happy with the medication and am hoping that it will postpone was seems to be the inevitable humira/remicaid injections.

Related Reading: ulcerative colitis | sleep | humira

Comment from: Cij, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 19

Proctitis: One mesalamine 500mg suppository at bedtime stopped repeated daily bowel movements with blood and excess mucous in less than a week. Took it for 7 years with several remissions lasting months. Then tappered off over a period of 6 weeks and quit. Had a remission for 6 years. Proctitis recently returned with frequent bowel movements, blood and excess mucous. Started one mesalamine suppository at bedtime again; blood and mucous stopped within 7 days and normal bowel movements returned. Rowasa no longer available. Canasa is now only available in 1000mg mesalamine suppositories in this area. They are too strong. 500mg worked for me just fine before without so much side affect.

Related Reading: Rowasa | Canasa

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

I was dianosed with proctitis of the rectum and was given a perscription for Canasa 1000mg. This drug works wonderfully. After only using 2 suppossitory all bowl issues went away and my body felt like no again! I recomment this medicine to anyone who has proctitis

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 13

IMy current condition is ulcerative colitis, after some time of not wanting to go onto any medicine I came to a point where I had no choice. It was either Canasa once a day or Asacol twice a day. So took the Canasa, works great however it seems when stop for about week or week in half everything comes back, just wish could go little longer than week half without taking medicine.

Related Reading: Asacol

Comment from: cos, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 18

This is a very new drug to me. It has stopped my symptoms completely but the abdominal discomfort isn't a very fair trade yet. I am hoping the cramping will stop and I get use to the the medication. My research indicates this is a very helpful and successful drug. I would never discourage anyone for trying it but it may take some getting use to. There are side effects! For me I had to weigh the pro's and con's. I didn't want to be stuck in my house all day because I had to use the restroom. Just be ready for cramping and a very tender abdominal area if it effect you that way.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been taking this medication on and off for about two years now. I was hoping when I was first diagnosed with proctitus that taking this medication would be temporary. But this has not been the case. I take the medication for about two or three months and then the problem comes back in another couple months. The side effects I have noticed are painful gas and also slight hair thinning (which does grow back when I'm off the medicine). Also I have noticed that if I start the medicine at the first sign of symptoms, it clears up the problem much faster.

Comment from: person78, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 19

Was diagnosed with proctitis a couple of weeks ago after a really bad flare up. I took this straight for a week and found that it helped, then all of the sudden it began to give me really bad side effects. I stopped taking for one day and called my doctor, who instructed me to continue taking. Have been on the 1000mg supp. for over a week with no improvement. In fact I feel like it is worse--especially sudden urges and spasms. It's weird, this seems so effective for others and not for me. Take fiber, work out regularly, eat healthy, and still no relief.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 21

Was diagnosed in May 08. I realized that my symptoms for this condition have been brought on by stress and have only had several bad episodes over the past few years. I take this medicine every Sunday and Wednesday night and have not had symptoms since. The doctor wants to do a re-test but I have been trying to get pregnant. I will continue to take this medicine through pregnancy per doctor suggestion.

Related Reading: stress | pregnancy