Carac User Reviews

Carac - User Reviews

Carac User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Carac sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: MCAthleet@aol.com, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 27

I used this medicine on my face. Side effects of skin erosion and tenderness are super painful. Redness,scabbing and overall unsightliness are overwhelming and makes me ultra self conscious. The affected areas on both sides of my face, on the apple of my cheeks. The affected area is like an upside down triangle, from nose, to hairline, to sides of mouth. I am now concerned of scarring.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 17

I have had malignant melanoma, and use this at the first sign of anything unusual. My dermatologist prescribes and monitors my usuage.It is very unsightly as the Rx does its work, but that is better than developing more melanomas. this is my second time to use carac top and I have had no scarring.

Related Reading: melanoma | carac

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 26

Completed four-weeks of 1xdaily on the face. Reviewer who observed that week three is the worst was almost correct. First two weeks, nothing but a little redness and slight burning. Third week it started waking me up at night and had problems eating as skin was very tight. Week three it began flaking and peeling. Shaving with a blade was out of the question. Tried ice packs to keep the swelling down. Week four was very painful; redness started to turn purple and skin was constantly flaking and peeling. Gym workouts were the worst; sweat was like acid on my face. Decided to cut the four week treatment by two days. Have been off the drug for almost a week and this is the first day there has been no discomfort. Redness is greatly decreased but skin is still flaking and peeling. Still a bit of soreness where at creases around the mouth and edge of the eyes. Skin looks much much better than before medication. Some "questionable" discolored places are totally gone. Now looking for the world's best sunscreen as I'm certain I was the victim of name-brand stuff with little UVA protection. Recommend this product and the full 4-weeks.

Related Reading: sunscreen

Comment from: spidergirl, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 21

This is for the ladies....I was very scared to use Carac cream b/c of horrible photos I saw on the web. I have done 4 small areas (about 2 in. areas at a time). Timing-wise only expect to see anything end of 2nd week. Depending on how much AK's you have you will see red splotches that intensify in 3rd week. If you put makeup over top of the area (if it isn't too bad) then NO ONE notices anything. My really bad area that I did was my nose so if I had to time it again I would just look 2-3 weeks out of calender and if you have something important to do then, don't start carac cream. As soon as you stop using it the skin heals up and is very smooth underneath. Use a lot of sunscreen over area and you can continue to cover w/ makeup. It is better than getting liquid nitrogen you just have to plan. Summer is coming so I am going to stop until after next xmas and then tackle a few more small areas until I am all done! Easy easy w/ out any major problems.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 08

I am a repeat user of this cream and I must say I hate the treatment. It burns like mad by the end of the second week and my face looks like I've been splattered with hot grease. But it does a great job clearing up the skin problems and I have not had any long term scarring. My advice is, don't use the cream in the summer unless you absolutely have to or you're only covering a small area as the added heat seems to intensify the burning and redness.

Related Reading: burns

Comment from: kmann, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 15

I am starting my second Carac treatment. The first was two years ago. Each treatment will last 2 weeks as prescribed by my dermatologist. After the two weeks, I will visit the Dr. to view the results and get the cool down cream (at least this is what I call it) to clear and smooth the skin. I am in treatment for Malignant Melanoma (5 years now) and this is just one of my many preventative treatments. As other posters wrote, what to expect is this: Start the treatment knowing you do NOT have any social plans for the next 3 weeks. Apply the cream as directed. Your face will NOT experience anything for 2-4 days however each person is different. Pretty soon, it will feel like a faint sun burn, then as the days go on, it will increase with redness, remember, with this treatment, “the redder the better” by the end of the 2nd week, red blotchy sores will appear, like a major case of some type of skin rash…it's not pretty. HOWEVER…after the 2nd week (or however long your Dr. has you on the treatment) you will apply the Cool Down medicine…sorry, I forgot what this is called and it is a prescription cream, almost immediately your face will feel better and within a few days it will look like a million bucks! Smooth skin, blotches and sun damage will be less noticeable and in my case, I looked younger…and that says a lot! This is good stuff for folks who have major sun damage and /or have dermatologist issues. Hope this helps…

Related Reading: rash