Carbatrol User Reviews

Carbatrol - User Reviews

Carbatrol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Carbatrol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Jay'sMommy, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 05

This medication has stabilized my son, he hasn't had a seizure in 7 years. But recently had a second opinion because I wanted to find out if he needed to be medicated further since he only had seizures between the ages of 3-4. The 24hr EEG performed showed some abnormalities but not the abnormalities that Carbatrol would address. So now his new neurologist has prescribed Lamictal which she feels would improve his overall brain activity. I am a bit nervous but I am optimistic. I would recommend this medication, just make sure to get blood work done as the doctor suggests and don't be afraid to ask questions or for a second opinion if you feel you need more answers.

Related Reading: Lamictal

Comment from: bestiscc, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 06

Seizures are well controlled using this medication (6-8 per year - occuring tri- monthly)from 3-4 per month!! This effectivenss has lasted for 10 years!! I am very satisfied with my results!!

Comment from: candy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 04

This med is very effective in soothing my trigeminal neuralgia. Opiates do not work for this pain. I have had zombie like side effects the first round of treatment. Not as bed on this, my second round, except at the higher doses. I will be sleepy and minor motor problems. On a high dose or when changing doses be careful driving! The other largest side effects are esp. vivid dreams. VERY VIVID. Both good pleasant dreams and nightmares. Incredibly detailed and real. I have PTSD though and the nightmares, some of them have left me in tears they were so intense. Definitely noticed difference before and after and then again when starting it 2nd time. Surprised this is not more of a controlled substance, I could see potential for abuse among those who like to get a mellow high. It is a potent drug though and I would not mess around w it. I think it is important to keep your blood level stable to avoid breakthroughs. I am a chronic pain patient who has been on morphine for 6.5 years and the TN pain makes me cry like almost no other. It is a miracle to be able to get such effective relief. I also have some bipolar issues but am not sure how much the drug helps w that. I am still very labile in my moods.

Related Reading: chronic pain

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 04

This medicine has stopped the pain from trigeminal neuralgia. I do get side effects that vary, but I just take them as they happen, nothing severe compared to the pain! The surgerys scare me and I hope to be able to use this medicine indefinately.

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.