Celexa User Reviews

Celexa - User Reviews

Celexa User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Celexa sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: shorthandedgoal, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 24

Depression runs in my family on both sides. I never knew I was truly depressed until in my late 20's my mother told me that she no longer enjoyed our conversations because I was always such a "downer". My mother and I are very close and I decided right then and there to do something about it. Zoloft and Prozac did nothing. Effexor made me extremely sick to my stomach. Was on Paxil for quite a while until I met my husband and wanted him to know that my lack of sex drive was not related to him. Wellbutrin put me in such a fog I walked around like a zombie, could not control my extremities and felt like my head was floating above my body. Along came Lexapro and I was saved!! Something finally worked well with my body chemistry(an my mother's as well) and didn't cause me strange side effects!! Being that my insurance did not cover it, my doctor put me on Celexa (Lexapro's cousin) and I have never looked back. I do not "hide out" or avoid social situations as much as I used to. I laugh and love to make people laugh. People that I confide in about taking an antidepresant can not believe that I actually NEED this. That is how much this has helped me. Lastly, the only side effect I get is if I forget to take it for a few days I will cry at the drop of a hat. I will feel like crying over ANYTHING when I skip a dose/doses. It is then I know I am off my routine... but no other side effects. Hope this helps someone else.

Related Reading: Depression | Zoloft | Prozac

Comment from: Omega1697, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 31

I started taking Celexa 20mg (generic citalopram, its a lot cheaper) The first week of August this year. I was diagnosed with Major Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I take it once a day at night (with food to diminish any possible gastrointestinal side effects). I am feeling 100% better than I did just a few months ago. I could not be more satisfied with the outcome. Before, I could not sleep or focus on anything. I was nauseas and exhausted all of the time and I even felt so dizzy I couldnt drive or go to class. I am now falling asleep without the help of sleep-aids. I have energy again; I no longer sleep 8 hours and wake up feeling more exhausted than I did the night before. FOR ME this was the correct medication. NO MEDICATION IS CORRECT FOR EVERYONE. There are several negative reviews from individuals; take them with a grain of salt. Yes, the first week can be miserable on a new anti-depressant (you have serotonin receptors all over your body, including your brain, blood vessels and stomach. While your body is adjusting to the new levels of serotonin, you will probably feel nauseas and have a headache). You have to be patient though! After a week I could feel a difference, and after a month I felt great. I feel like my old self again. The only downside I can find with the drug is that I cannot drink AT ALL on this drug. As with most SSRIs, alcohol renders the medication ineffective because Alcohol occupies the same receptors in your body. Massive panic attacks came for an entire week after drinking moderately. I would happily give up alcohol for the rest of my life to NEVER feel the depression and anxiety ever again though. There are also sexual side effects, but for me they have been positive. I can now maintain an erection and have a healthy sex life. I also have no problem with having orgasms. Do not rule out any drug because of the reviews on here. Eventually, you WILL find the right drug for you :). HANG IN THERE!!

Related Reading: Celexa | Anxiety | sleep

Comment from: Beth, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 03

I am on 40mg Celexa - (for a month) it has worked great. Increased energy, no more mood swings, not so uptight and shy anymore. Sex is GREAT now, use to not be interested. I was very snappy and irratable with husband and kids - no more - things don't bother me much anymore. I am so much more relaxed, and have lost 10 pounds in a month.

Comment from: Gabrielle, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 11

I can't even describe how much Celexa helped me. Now I am able to get my life back together. NO side effect. Only the first 2 weeks while the medicine was adjusting in my system my libido was low...now I crave sex like never before, and sex is amazing! Feels better than before. Maybe the fact that I am more active, taking long walks, eating healthy, has helped me skip all those side effects that everyone talks about. If you start on this medication I recommend to ALL to adjust your lifestyle as well. Go outside! Enjoy the sun! Exercise..Help yourself, don't expect the medicine to do it all for you. You need to put something for yourself too! This medicine was the tool for me to get my life going again. I am back to who I was 15 years ago.

Comment from: ironfist, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 01

Had a bad year in 2007. Began abusing alcohol to cover up anxiety/depression. Lost control of emotions with love of my life. Started on 20mg. It has only been a week but can feel a powerful difference. No more alcohol cravings-Trust me-Do Not Drink while on this stuff. It's crazy. Cures anxiety. Depression lifts but ambition decreases. Strange sexual side affects. Definite decrease in sex drive, but get sudden unexpected sexual urges. Gives you peace, but you quit caring about people quite as much. I became introspective and clear headed. I think other people are hilarious now. They seem like a joke to me. Before I felt the joke was on me. Never believed in medication, but you can feel this stuff reorganize your brain.Does not alleviate heartbreak though. Wish I started it sooner.

Related Reading: sexual