Celexa User Reviews

Celexa - User Reviews

Celexa User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Celexa sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 03

It was hard for me to admit I had mild depression and even more difficult for me to begin taking medication for it. I always felt like I should be able to control how I feel. I never felt suicidal, just blah and negative, so I admitted I could feel better and gave in to taking the medication and went to 3 counseling sessions, mainly to accept my depression. It has been a very positive experience for me and the medication has been working. I take 40mg 1x/day and I feel more positive about my life and my interactions with people. I had mild side effects for the first month, dry mouth, yawning, decreased sexual desire, but they went away. I now believe depression is an inbalance of chemicals in the brain because after taking Celexa, my thinking changed. I tried to change it on my own to be more positive, but it always felt like something was blocking me. I have now realized and accepted I have mild depression, and that is what was blocking me and I don't have the power to control it, and it's ok to get help with it.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: LifeinProgress, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

Have been struggling with a severe case of depression for sometime, to the point where I have had sucidial thoughts and basically do not see the point in living...Finally accepted that I needed to seek professional help. Have tried Lexapro, Effexor and Wellbutrin in the past for a very short time frame, all 3 gave me excrutiating headaches so I stopped taking them, not to mention severe anxiety and a general "weirded out" feeling. Have been taking Celexa 10mg for about 3 weeks now. I can tell you that I have not had headaches with the 10mg. My doctor wants to bump me up slowly to 20 or 40 mg, however, when I took 15mg, the headache was unbearable. My doctor suggested that I take it with two tylenols, which so far has been helpful. Haven't noticed a huge improvement in the depression, but I would say I am hopeful. Also, after reading some reviews, I started taking Celexa at night, so I am not groggy durig the day. As a side note, I am also someone who eats very healthy, works out daily and has a lot of family support. Thus, I hope that I will be able to be on Celexa long enough to dig out of what I like to call my depression, "the black hole". Trust me, if you are sensitive to medications in general, especially AntiDepressants, Celexa may work for you. I pray that someone reads this and find it helpful!!

Related Reading: Lexapro | Effexor | Wellbutrin

Comment from: Rose, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 06

I started taking Celexa in the AM because it has a tendency to keep me up at night. I have taken it for about 5 years after trying Paxil and Zoloft both of which had horrible side effects (paxil left me with dry heaves) and zoloft left me too spacey. I would recommend backing off on caffeine if you are taking Celexa in the AM because it gives you a boost and you may feel spacey if you have caffeine along with it. As with any drug, side effects seems worse at first but all of mine on Celexa went away after consistently taking it. I was nauseated at first but after my body got used to the AM routine it went away. Consistency with taking Celexa at the same time every day is what will help you notice a big differece. Like I said, PM doses keep me awake still, but it had no effect on weight, skin, sex drive, or ability to process thought (its actually helped me in all of those areas!)

Related Reading: Paxil | zoloft

Comment from: ladydi, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 10

I am 46yrs old, a wife, a mother of 3 and a grandmother of 4. Before taking celexa I was very depressed and angry. I started out at 10mg and am now at 40mg. I have been taking medication for 3 months now. I feel like a new person. I couldn't listen to music, watch t.v or cope with my children and grandchildren leaving after wonderful visit. I had outbursts of anger and vengence consumed me. I am 90% back to normal. I have had no sexual side effects in fact I am better in that area. I feel normal now. I have told several friends about my miracle drug and I thank God and my doctor for this. Hold strong and all will be ok.

Comment from: fragile1, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 02

I have suffered with depression for many years. I had tried approx 6-7 other AD's, but to no avail. Some AD's did nothing to lessen the feelings of despair while some just seemed to worsen my condition. With this in mind, I resigned myself to the fact that I must continue to suffer the rest of my life,with this debilitating disease. Approx. 3 1/2 weeks ago, I relented and had asked my Dr. if I could try-(after 5 years of suffering w/o any meds), "Celexa". He agreed and put me on 20mg, 1x day. In the first week,I could feel a difference, a positive difference. 3 weeks later, Celexa has made a significant change with not only how I feel but also, my outlook on life.I can only conclude,that not only have I found "the one"-(Celexa), but with the help of your "readers reviews" and their experiences while using this drug, I have a renewed outlook on life, and freedom for the first time from horrible and debilitating disease! I often would say, "how much more can one endure"?! Well, no more. There is indeed, light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you readers and Good Luck to all!