CellCept User Reviews

CellCept - User Reviews

CellCept User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication CellCept sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 31

CellCept replaced prednisone as treatment for autoimmune hepatitus after finding I was allergic to all normal treatments for this disease. I have had no adverse effects.

Related Reading: CellCept

Comment from: Mrs V, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 23

My 45 year old husband was given CellCept in May 2008 to help his kidney function improve following a 2005 bone marrow transplant for Leukemia. The CellCept caused a rare but fatal brain virus called PML of which we received no warning. My husband lost his sight, all bodily functions, laid in a hospital bed from July 29, 2008 until he died in my arms on September 20, 2008. His doctor described PML as having a slow stroke everyday.

Related Reading: Leukemia | stroke

Comment from: Vic F, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 27

My Doctor is using CellCept to treat my MG. Other Meds did not work. This works very well.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 11

I developed a very rare problem with swelling in the optic nerve in my eye. Tests showed it was an autoimmune problem. I was put on a steroid to reduce the swelling in the optic nerve. Imuran made me very very sick so I was put on Cellcept knowing it had never been used in any case similar to mine, but it seems to have worked very well up to this point and has gotten me off the steroid I have been on.

Related Reading: Imuran

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had lupus for over 25 yrs . Have dealt with Chronic kidney failure for 15. Tried lg. dosages of prednisone and IV cytoxin for over 2 yrs. Many anti-inflammatory drugs. Then Cell-Cept. I would be on dialysis & transplant list had this drug not been used. It has stabilized my creatinine level at around 2. I take 2000 mg. daily. I have less joint pain now and function better than 20 yrs. ago. For those who are experiencing diarrea - once your system has gotten used to the med and your condition improves - often a lower dosage helps prevent diarrea. I also found that the generic version (possibly something in the coating) caused stomach "rolling" and distress and switched back to original Cell-Cept. This drug is a life saver, but lots of bloodwork will be necessary. Lupus is livable. I am a walking example and so thankful to be alive.

Related Reading: lupus | kidney failure

Comment from: Dr. CMS, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 28

I was prescribed CellCept for severe, progressive, ocular MG in early Oct. I have been on the drug 3 months but have developed severe taste perversion, ageusia, a horrible sick, mold/dead salmon taste in my mouth, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. If I eat a banana it tastes like I am eating the skin/peel of a bananna. The GI intolerance is going to make me stop taking the drug. I have no appetite and have lost weight. My ocular MG is better, but I am also taking high dose steroids. Rest is my best medicine.

Related Reading: mold | abdominal pain | diarrhea

Published: September 21

I'm losing my hair. Wanted some info on this.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had good luck with this drug. I was concerned when I found out that it can cause bad brain viruses. I tried to get off it and as I tried to wean myself off all of my MG syptoms started to come back and I didn't want to go to the depths of hell I was at before so I decided to take my chances. I feel like I am playing Russian Roulette but I don't feel like I have a choice.

Comment from: Living with Lupus, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 04

I have taken cellcept for almost 4 years for Lupus SLE. It has been the best immunosuppressive with the least side effects (has helped me to greatly reduce the prednisone). However, I have that it has caused some stomach problems (stomach upset and diarrhea). I need to be on this drug but wished the stomach issues would go away. Overall this is much better than prednisone. One more thing, the cellcept didn't fully help my Lupus. I found that I need Rituxan as well. That is what saved me, the Rituxan.

Related Reading: Rituxan