Chantix User Reviews

Chantix - User Reviews

Chantix User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Chantix sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Good so far, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I took Chantix for 5 months. I smoked the first month until all my cigarettes were gone. No problems transitioning to quitting. No Nicotine withdrawal symptoms AT ALL. You still get cravigs but they are short and manageable. It's nothing like going cold turkey when you are climbing the walls screaming you have to have a cigarette NOW! The cravings are nothing like that. I had most of the side affects. They were annoying but bearable. I chose to quit smoking over giving up the drug. I planned on going 2 more months on the Chantix but decided to quit after 5 months to see what would happen. I was tired of the side affects and wanted to give it a try. I spent 8 days tapering off the drug opposite to the way you start the drug. I've been off Chantix 2 weeks now. Cravings have not increased at all. I know a cigarette would probably taste good and I'm sure I could easily go back. But I'm not. I don't need them like I once did because I was so dependent on them. Chantix is an amazing drug for those who can tolerate it. I was up to two packs a day and have smoked since age 14. I had tried many things in the past and had nothing but failures. I didn't put much hope in Chantix but somehow it worked!! All of the side affects are gone. There are times you feel like reaching for a cigarette out of habit. I have put myself in all of the situations where I'd like to smoke in the past. A bar, driving, cup of coffee, doing projects etc etc. No problems. Even if others are smoking there still isn't a problem. Like I said before I'm sure one would taste good but I tell myself I don't want it or need it. I feel I've acomplished an impossible feat. Good luck to others and hang in there! Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to explain my complete experience.

Related Reading: Nicotine

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 21

My doctor suggested this treatment to help me quit smoking. I was a regular smoker for over 20 years. My treatment was for 6 months instead of the normal 3 months. My doctor told me it increases your chance of success to @ 85%. This med is ver effective in reducing the cravings for nicotine. Within 8 days I stopped smoking and have not had a cigarette for over a year. There are some things you need to do to help you deal with the side effects. Please do not drink heavily with this medication as it can cause violent mood swings in some people. A few alcholholic drinks is Ok though. Always eat before you take the medication. It really made me sick to my stomach if I did not eat. Also eat a light snack before bed time to ease the occurance of bad dreams and headaches. I have had great success in beating the nicotine addiction I had for over 20 years. I would recommend this top anyone who REALLY wants to beat this drug.(nicotine) One of the other benefits to this treatment is no weight gain! Please beware if you try any tobacco product after you complete treatment your addiction will be even stronger than before treatment. DO NOT even try to smoke or chew or anything.

Comment from: stillsmokefreeanyway, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 15

The extreme side effects made it necessary to stop taking the meds. I slept fine, but it was completely non-refreshing. The gastrointestinal upset was severe. The anxiety and overall "jittery" feeling was what ultimately did me in. I felt as if I was about to climb out of my own skin and was extremely irritable. Someone told me that what happens on this drug is that it takes away the "pleasure" of smoking, but the problem is that it takes away the pleasure of EVERYTHING! Someone said this is being tested for use in persons that are addicted to other drugs????? My husband and I started this medicine at the same time and he almost suffered a relapse from recovery due to the side effects.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 01

I spent 8 days in the hospital with brain seizures that took the form of crippling headaches. They cycled in 24 hour periods after 12 days on the medication. I was finally transported to the hospital in an ambulance. I was given every test to determine another cause for the headaches, but everything came up negative. I was treated with pain medication until the drugs could clear my system.

Comment from: red hen, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 28

One of the worst experiences of my life. After 2 weeks on chantix I was sleeping 18 hrs a day, slurred speach, chest pain, confusion,irrational thinking, unsteady gait, dissorentation, extremely emotional,major depression, I became suicidal to the point of being hospitalized for 3 days in the phyc. ward. Horrifying experience to be admitted, strip searched, not completely understanding what has happened. How do I live with the memory of my children seeing me there and in that condition? completely out of control. embarrassed and ashamed and scared. Difficult symptoms continued for 2 weeks after stopping the medication, anxiety, slurred speach, dizzy, afraid to leave the house for fear of becoming like that away from home where I could not get help. I know this works very well for some people w/ little or no side effects, but please, if you decide to use this product, ask your family/friends to watch you carefully, and help you to contact your dr. if they feel your behavior has changed enough to worry them. You may not always be thinking clearly enough to seek help youself. I paid dearly, much much more than my $30 copay, to quit smoking for 10 days.... Be carefull.

Related Reading: chest pain

Comment from: 35-44 Published: October 29

My husband used chantix in june after trying to quite for a couple of years. He has been smoke free for going on four months now. He doesn't even want to smoke. It is truly a miracle drug. He did have some nausea when taking the drug, but he got through it. the pill made his cravings go away almost immediately. the hardest part for him was getting through the habitual part of smoking and breaking the routines he had built up in his life around smoking.

Smoking Cessation

Get tips, treatments, & motivation.