Colchicine User Reviews

Colchicine - User Reviews

Colchicine User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Colchicine sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: dcmcl33, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 17

I have been an athlete for 55 years and I experience gout as a running back in college. While I did not know what I was experiencing, I suffered through many games where I thought my pain was an injury. Through the years I have discovered that intense physical activity agravates the gout (at least I experience many attacks after long and/or hard workouts). The pain has been in my feet (instep, arch, toes), hand (fingers, knuckles), wrist (feels like a sprain) and elbow. None of these are at the same time, but the pain can shift from one area to the next. Others do not understand the degree of the pain but they can certainly observe that I am in a great deal of pain because of my inability to move during a flare-up. I have used indocin for years during "attacks" but I get headaches with that drug. I experience five or six strong flare-up each year. The doctor started me on colchicine and the pain decreased immediately. I have had no side effects. I have read many reviews on this site and it seems as though the frequency of use has been a factor in many of the excerpts. I take only two a day, one early and one mid-day. I have experienced no adverse problems. Believe me when I say that I do not take medication. I do not take any other drugs and I only use colchicine during the attacks and for few days afterwards. Again, as I read these reviews it seems as though some medical professionals are precribing large doses. Maybe, like anything else moderation is the secret. Also, after reading some of these reviews, I realize how much I appreciate my doctor.

Related Reading: gout | indocin | colchicine

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been suffering from gout for past 10 years. One instance the pain was so bad I had to call the on call physician. I was diagnosed with gout. I was prescribed colchicine for the pain. The pain stopped and the swelling decreased. I now take the medication daily and have no problems. I have no complains since I have been on this medication. I'll deal with the side effects of the medication than the severe pain from the gout which is unbearable.

Comment from: colchicine, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 18

This is my 3rd and worse bout with gout. My Dr. prescribed this medication and forewarned me that it MAY cause diarahea. He suggested one 0.6 mg pill every four hours instead of every one to two hours. It took just a little longer but after taking this for 18 hours the front of my foots swelling has gone down 50% and the pain has subsided by over 75%. When this attack is over , he is starting my on Allopurinol to avoid this in the future. In short, Colchicine is a god sent medication.

Published: November 11

Great Drug if you have Gout, worked for me no problems

Comment from: donaway, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a male 67 years old with the customary ailments of a person of this age. I have experienced the painful condition of gout in my big toes in the past 4 years or so & did not know there was some medication that would have relieved my pain. However the last time I had an attack I was forced to seek medical treatment. My doctor precribed Colchicine & to make a long story short, I had almost 90% relief within 12 hours. No side affects whatsoever. It works.

Comment from: taylorbh1, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

I started taking Colchicine about 6 weeks ago for the treatment of Gout. It has worked for me, but I almost died due to complications brought on by using this drug. I am a dialysis patient and it caused my immune system to crash by supressing my bone marrow production of both white and red blood cells and platelets. I developed high fever and headaches for lack of red blood cells carrying oxygen to the brain. I spent 6 days in the hospital until my white blood cell count came up to atleast 2.7 before they would release me. I am still waiting for results from the bone marrow biopsy and my primary care doctor called the hematologist to let him know about the Colchicine side effects and they are both confident that the drug was the cause of all symptoms. Hopefully they will be able to find some other form of treatment for the gout without the adverse effects on my immune system and kidneys. I am confident they will.

Related Reading: fever

Comment from: las, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 04

For 3 yrs. I suffered with pain in my feet, when I would get up in am I could barely walk down steps. The pain just got worse and my joints hurt and muscle pain. I work for a doctor but no insurance so I talked to her and at first we thought fibromyalgia. I just lived with the pain. Taking ibuprofen, using hot packs etc. Then in Nov. 07' my great toe on my left foot turned a little red and very painful. I thought gout so I talked to the doctor again and she looked at it and said possible gout and Rx'ed me with colchicine for 5 days. AFTER 2 DAYS I WAS PAIN FREE!! NO PAIN IN MY FEET,SHOULDERS,ELBOWS,KNEES,HANDS,MUSCLES. ANYWHERE. I COULD RUN UP AND DOUM THE STEPS. This was a miricle to me. I have been pain free up till about 2 wks. ago. I am breaking down and giong to have the uric acid blood test. If it is gout then she will Rx allipurinol(sp)? If I dont have gout then I dont know what I do have but colchicine was my miricle drug.

Related Reading: muscle pain | fibromyalgia | ibuprofen