Concerta User Reviews

Concerta - User Reviews

Concerta User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Concerta sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: MOM, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 02

I laugh, (then get very sad) when I hear people say that parents who give their children the gift of focus, are lazy parents. I fought the teachers and doctors when they told me my son may need medication. I remember leaving a meeting in tears. Yet when my son was in third grade and not reading yet, I knew he needed help. I let his doctor put him on a min dose of Concerta, and pulled him out of school to homeschool. I was shocked at the change in his work! The first few weeks of homeschooling were "un-medicated" so when we finally filled the RX, the VERY next day his work was more neat, he didn't fight about working, HE was so happy that he could actually listen to what I was saying! I have to say that I was very upset that I had denied my son of this medication for so long. It has been almost 4 years now, and he is doing wonderful! The days he does not take his medication it's like he can't control himself, it has nothing to do with our parenting at all. He is a well behaved, loving, sweet kid who just needs help to focus. I pray that he grows out of it, or that I will be able to teach him skills to deal with his ADD for adulthood,(I won't always be here to pick up all the lost items and help him to remember EVERYTHING!) but whatever happens, I am glad that we found this medication.

Related Reading: Concerta | parenting

Comment from: dnm, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 25

My son has ADD inattentive type; he does not have hyperactivity, just a complete inability to concentrate, remain organized, filter out ambient noise, remember tasks or finish tests on time. This medication has helped him greatly in all of those areas and he now finishes timed tests on time at school, a first in many years. He gets mild headaches, which is thus far the only ill effect. It's great to have a kid who does A work actually have the teacher see the work because tests are completed and homework is not continually lost, left on the printer, left in the car, on the steps, etc. Having resisted medication for 5 years while all else was tried, we're very happy with the result. The worry that the medication might make this laid back kid hyper turned out to not me an issue at all, and his sleep has not been impacted.

Comment from: tell33bops, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 09

I have ADD, I am not hyperactivity. Concerta is a Godsend. I started taking Ritalin but didn't like the ups and downs of a 4 hour pill, plus remembering to take it once it had worn off was darn near impossible. When I started taking the Concerta I was at 54 mg. I found that I would think about all the stuff I had to do but I couldn't seem to act on it. I would be completely immobilized by the thought of all the work. My doctor and I slowly moved the dosage up. My dosage was 108 mg but I was completely organized and able to focus. My room was even clean and stayed clean (much to the surprise of my mom.) I was treated by an ADD specialist that had been seeing me since I was diagnosed at the age of 6. Even though my dosage was considered high by most medical journals, my doctor and I both agreed that it was what I needed. However, when she passed away unexpectedly I could not find another physician that was willing to write a prescription for that dosage. Every doctor I saw kept saying that it was twice the recommended dose and then they would try to send me to a shrink. During this time everything suffered. My apartment became cluttered and disorganized, my grades plummeted (until then I had maintained a 3.8 through my junior year of college), and I was late for appointments and classes. I was even more impulsive. I was finally able to find a doctor that was willing to work with me. She is a specialist that works specifically with women that have ADD. She built me slowly back up to the needed dosage over the course of two month. I am happy to say that I am back on track. I have found that the medication only lasts 8 hours and if I am trying to study after that I will take 30 mg of Ritalin to get me through the rest of the day. No medical journal knows what is right for you, you know your body and whether a medication is working or not. Your doctor should realize this and take the steps necessary to give you the medication YOUR body needs.

Related Reading: Ritalin

Comment from: Lane Myers, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 29

I was diagnosed with ADHD three years ago after both college and graduating from a difficult top tier law school. Had I known I had the disorder sooner, things may have been easier. However, I was leery of Adderall or Ritalin because students would deal them and take them with other illicit drugs to study. I wanted nothing to do with it, though it was prescribed. Just this year, I started working 2 hrs away from home, 11 hrs or so a day. I had to do SOMETHING. I was in a large room filled with chatty attorneys, constantly distracted, and was drinking 4 redbulls a day, 2 cups of coffee, AND popping no-doze for my sleepiness. My doctor said "I prescribed something for you three years ago. You didn't take it. But now there's something new and less habit forming." He put me on Concerta, and I haven't touched a redbull in a month, after having taken copious amounts of caffeine (vivarin, coffee, jolt, no-doze, green tea) since I was in Boarding School! Suddenly, I need none of it. I can focus on my work, I stay awake, I don't get sleepy driving anymore, and I feel much better without all the caffeine running rampant in my system. I'm calm, I'm effective, I'm productive. I get the apprehension many have with Adderall or Ritalin or even Concerta, but if you are prescribed any of these medicines LEGITIMATELY, I suggest you take it. There is no reason to live in a cloud. Oh, and for creative types: there is no need to fear the idea that it somehow takes your creativity away from you. I am also a songwriter and have been for many years. I have no trouble writing even AFTER taking the concerta.

Related Reading: ADHD | Adderall