Concerta User Reviews

Concerta - User Reviews

Concerta User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Concerta sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: chris, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 14

I have been taking concerta since about 3rd grade. There are some side effects such as loss of hunger that I have recently stopped experiencing. I take 135mg of concerta and am finishing ninth grade. Some of the side effects I still have would be a lack of emotion, increased heart rate, and a cold personality. The increased heart rate is a thing to be concerned about if you are taking a higher dose(be careful what you do and just be aware of this). I recently went to a cardiologist for an Electrocardiogram and my heart was healthy and normal. Though during more intense workouts it gets to around 210-220 which I try to monitor to prevent this. Normally it is at 110, 20bpm above normal. But the effects it has had, I am getting better grade, I am in all honors, I am a much more intelligent person that I thought I was. Some helpful tips I have -try to limit the times you need to increase your dose -Monitor your heart rate -Eat when you don't want to because you are hungry you just don't feel it -Never take anything above your dose or if you must then make try to use a different drug, I recommend Focalian(Probably incorrectly spelled) -Monitor your supply of pills to make sure you don't run out(had this happen once or twice it was not fun) -Take you pills as soon as you wake up they last about 12-15 hours and you will not be able to get to sleep easily when you are on them I hoped this has helped you.

Comment from: dmckoy, on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 18

My daughter had ADHD and we used this medication for 4 years and she did great on the medicine and she is off of it now and is doing great. We had to work at home and at school with coping skills and stay consistant and she was able maintain and as a middle schooler is doing better then I could expect. I recommend this with medication and a plan to help your child, it can be done.

Comment from: Loving mom of teenage son, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 27

My 15 year old son has been on Concerta for 3 years. Our Dr. started him on the 27mg dose & has increased him to the 36mg. My son has never been hyperactive, just not able to stay focused or complete multi tasks. Since he has been taking the Concerta, his ability to remain focused and actually remember things has been amazing. Concerta started working within 3 days for him. He did loose 2 lbs when he first started taking it, and will have some evenings when it is harder for him to get to sleep, but nothing bad. I am amazed at his willingness and ability to interact with family and friends. I have seen a whole new kid come to life. He doesn't have any side effects at all. I feel that Concerta has given him the ability to fully enjoy life instead of missing it because he couldn't concentrate. I highly recommend Concerta and after reviewing other meds, I feel confident in giving my son his Concerta daily. We did try Neuro feedback for 3 months and I do feel like that also helped in many ways. My son use to say that the medicine didn't help him, until I decided not to give it to him for 3 days (he doesn't remember to take it), and one day he came home from school and said that he needs to take his Concerta tomorrow, because he noticed he was having a hard time focusing in class. That sold me right there! I was happy to hear him say that he noticed a difference. Nobody likes to have to medicate their child, but when you witness first hand the benefits it brings to your childs life, it may change your mind. I also like the fact that the drug doesn't stay in their body for more than 8 hours. I am sold and recommend Concerta.

Comment from: Fairmont, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 30

I've been on Concerta for a week. I am 43, and for the first time in my life I can hold still. I can maintain attention, I'm patient, and I'm a lot happier. I'm far less irritable. I'm not as easily frustrated, and I'm only juggling two or three thoughts instead of five or six. I'm also far less impulsive. I am not constantly wanting new things, and my moods are calm. I haven't lost my creativity or imagination. In fact, it improved. I don't procrastinate as much, and organization is easier. Finally, I can stay on task without getting distracted as easily. I am so much happier. The fact is that, for me, it feels too good to be true. I wish Concerta worked for everyone who has ADHD. But it doesn't. No drug works for everyone. But this one worked for me. I wish I had been diagnosed a medicated 35 years ago when I started failing in school. I spent years struggling and suffering. Worst of all my impulsivity caused me social conflicts, and romance difficulties. Thank goodness I sought help. My psychiatrist is amazing. Everyone who struggles with mental illness or disabilities should seek help.

Related Reading: mental illness

Comment from: diamarben, 19-24 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 03

I've been medicated for ADD since second grade. I'm 19 now. I was originally on Ritalin and then put on Concerta when the FDA approved it. There was a huge improvement with my behavior and grades. My impulsiveness also ceased. Concerta (54mg) has always made me feel more emotionless and spaced-out. It felt like the only part of my body present was my brain, which absorbed information nonstop. Over the last year, I started to show signs of anxiety. I come back from college classes, go in my room, and cry for no reason. I'm tired all the time and have no motivation. I don't feel as emotionally attached to anyone and I'm no longer passionate about things I used to love. I feel as though I am existing, rather than living. While I originally had success with Concerta throughout my elementary and secondary education, school has become more difficult because of the new side-effects. My doctor gave me the okay to finally try Adderall. I'm absolutely petrified to try a new medication, but I'm hoping it will relieve my anxiety and give me back the energy I used to have to get things done. Concerta may work for you or your child, but pay attention to how they feel. While education is important in adolescence, emotional development is something you can never get back.