Coumadin User Reviews

Coumadin - User Reviews

Coumadin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Coumadin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 29

I was put on Coumadin for a heart condition called Atrial Fibrulation. I was only on it for a few months when I had a severe hemorrhage from my nose and had to call 911 and they had to pack my nose in order to stop the hemorraging. 6 months later it happened again and I had to call 911 again because it was so severe. I realized that the treatment for the atrial fibrulation was worse than the disease. I also had many large bruises ("black and Blue marks")on many places on my body that took months to go away. I lived in constant fear that I would get into some kind of accident and bleed to death. After one year I refused to take the Coumadin anymore and was put on one 325mg tablet of aspirin a day which I can tolerate much better.

Related Reading: Coumadin | bruises | aspirin

Comment from: darlin69, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: July 14

My 72 yr old husband began taking coumadin in aug. 2009 for A-Fib which we never even knew he had. He never had problems breathing, worked to supplement our income. I thought he should see a cardiologist just for an exam. He put him on coumadin and that's when the mental confusion and forgetfulness started....also falling weak legs. Had to stop working. The dr would not accept the mild dementia saying that is NOT a side effect so he kept taking it up and down trying to get it regulated. In May 2010 he got pneumonia and was hospitalized..the took him off the coumadin because he falls...even got a new cardiologist. Last week he had an episode where he couldn't breathe so ambulance came and he was again hospitalized. They think he had a mini stroke and pulmonary embolisms. The hospital dr pushed me to approve coumadin while the neuro dr disagreed. I was made to feel that if I didn't let them give it to him and he died his blood was on my hands. They had been giving him heparin, then lovenox IV.He was doing quite well, up and walking, making sense when he talked. Then 3 days ago they gave him 7.5 mg of coumadin and within 4 hours he went ballistic. The nurse called me at 11 PM and told me they had to call security and give him atavan. They wanted to send him home the next day and i had to argue for them to keep him one more day because I wouldn't be able to handle him if he did that. The dr was upset with me because I discontinued the coumadin. He came home today and slept all day, is really confused. Of course they have him on Lasix, Levaquin, and some other drugs including anti-psychotics. I will not continue the anti-psycs. They sent him home with 8 RXs to be filled. I will see our PCP next week before I do anything else.

Related Reading: dementia | pneumonia | stroke

Comment from: Loving daughter, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 11

My 77 yr. old father was put on this 3 1/2 years ago for atrial fibrillation and since then has aged dramtically. Went from a strong, vibrant, active, happy man to a stooped over, shuffling, vacant, forgetful, shell of a man. This stuff is slowly killing him and I hope to talk him into stopping it! This stuff is poison!

Related Reading: atrial fibrillation

Comment from: MinkyDoe, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 09

On Coumadin for 30 years in Sept. These reviews are AMAZING! People using words like; "annoyed" with the drug. Try stroke, now THAT is annoying. (Done it) "I can't eat what I want when I want to".... u can eat, it just takes planning. Try being a diabetic! Coumadin has saved my LIFE. It can save yours, or keep you from having a stroke or PE. Read the INSERT on your prescription. COUMADIN will NOT; make your hair fall out, feel cold; listless or weak. You have ANOTHER problem... these are not listed AT ALL, not even in the "one in a million" section. Save your life. Take your drug. Live with it. Or..... don't.

Published: September 25

The side effects of this medicine is often overlooked. Everyone is quick to say how wonderful the medicine is, but no one takes the time to explain the side effects. Severe hair loss, fatigue, the major changes in diet, unexplained bleeding, chest pain and let's not even mention the way that you have to be extra careful to ensure that you don't injure yourself and cause internal bleeding. Truthfully, the benefits do outweigh the side effects, but it would have been nice to have been able to prepare for them instead of experiencing them and then being told that they are normal. My biggest problem other than the side effects is the fact that you have to take the medicine AT THE EXACT SAME TIME EVERY DAY.

Related Reading: hair loss | fatigue | chest pain

Comment from: BDKathleen, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 10

At 23 yo, I had PE and was hospitalized for one month on Heparin IV. Afterwards, on Coumadin for 1.5 years. Dr. heard a murmur, but no tests were done. Went off Coumadin. Gave birth, and had frequent TIA's and chest pain. Dr. discovered mitral stenosis and I went on Coumadin forever. At 44 yo, had the mitral valve repaired. Previously, my older brother, at 40 y.o. died of a massive clot. My younger sister at 37 yo, had 3 DVT clots. The doctors finally all met to discuss our similar events. After going off Coumadin, under great observation and testing, we were diagnosed with Factor V Leiden AND Protein C & S deficiency (I guess that's rare?)...too late to save my brother. My father died at 62, my mother is now 80. My younger brother does not have either clotting disorder. My sister and I live a normal life, eat a normal diet, exercise normally (walk 5-8 miles/wk), have thick healthy hair, sleep, work, play and otherwise enjoy life because of this miracle drug. I can't say enough about it. If all we have to do is get stuck once every month, I can live with that. Our doctors manage the dosage based on our normal diets and activity. (including lettuce, and a glass of wine now and then) After 31 years on the medication, I can actually FEEL how thick or thin my blood is, my sister says the same thing. INR is almost always the same...between 2-3. Wonderful medication-I am so grateful for it. My children and husband are also grateful. Too many of you are already so unhealthy, unaware of your own body, whimpy and lazy. Quit complaining and live life.

Related Reading: Heparin | sleep