Coumadin User Reviews

Coumadin - User Reviews

Coumadin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Coumadin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: crhodes, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 17

I was on coumadin for 12 years after being diagnosed with protien S deficiency. I had had several DVT's before this diagnosis. In July of 2007 my protime was low so my Dr raised my dose. I started having severe headaches, then a seizure. My Dr assured me it was sinusitis. After being in severe pain I decided to go to the ER. I was told I had a brain hemorrhage that now had turned into a clot on my brain. I had an emergency crainiotomy (had my skull cut open). The surgeon said it was a spontaneous bleed from being given way too much coumadin. Now I can't take any coumadin, advil, asprin etc. Now I pray to God I never have a DVT again. Please be careful on this drug and pay attention to any ABNORMAL SYSTOMS! I am lucky to still be alive.

Related Reading: seizure | brain hemorrhage

Comment from: Abby410, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 19

I have been taking coumadin as a blood clot preventative for almost 3 years. In May 2008 I was diagnosed with a rare and fatal disease called Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. My Anti-Coagulation nurses told me exactly what to expect and exactly how serious coumadin is. They warned me all about the side effects and changes in my eating habits. Yes, I get random and frequent nose bleeds but I also am on oxygen 24/7 which can dry out my nose and cause nose bleeds. Other than that, I haven't had any serious side effects. Sometimes strange bruises do appear even if I didn't bump into something, although when I do bump into something pretty hard I get really nasty looking bruises. All in all, I trust my doctor and my Anti-Coagulation nurses when it comes to taking care of my health. So far, I've been alive almost 3 years now!!

Comment from: DWA, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

I had an Aortic Valve Replacement in May of 2007 and I have been on Coumadin ever since. I get my blood checked every 6 weeks and eat whatever I want. PT-INR should be between 2.5 and 3.5; mine is always in the range. I take 12.5mg 3 times a week and 10 the other 4 days. I have never had any side effects, but I do agree with one other review, take Coumadin and not Warfarin if you can afford it; Warfarin can very between manufacturer. My doctor will not let me take Warfarin.

Comment from: plbell627, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 13

I started taking Warfrin Sodium the generic over 3 years ago for Atrial Fibralation. It has helped my protime runs between 2.0 & 3.0. I have had no side effects what so ever. I would recommend this to anyone who needs it. also the generic brand is no different in the medicine end only difference is the color & the bonding agent. Don't be misled

Comment from: Tony Daquisto, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: June 22

My wife takes a large dose of coumadin daily to treat Heparin induced thrombocylspenia with lupus anticoagulation. Please excuse the spelling. My question is she takes coumadin and not waffarin the generic. Can you advise what is the difference in these medications. Your attention is appreciated.

Related Reading: lupus

Comment from: fullmoon, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 24

I have a St. Jude's artifical mitral valve. The valve has never clotted since I do take coumadin, so I don't take it for a clot due to the valve, I take it as a clot preventative. Everyone who has a mechanical valve has to take coumadin for life. I hate being tied to this medication, but don't have a choice. I notice that my skin has changed in appearance since starting this drug. Also, I can't roller skate, ride horses, water ski, or anything else anymore. I hate having to go get the PT/INR tests all the time...especially when my INR goes out of whack. I sometimes end up going once a week until it gets back on track. I HATE taking this med, but have no choice, will be on it for life.

Comment from: rachvilla, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 22

I have been taking this drug for atrial fibrilation since 1995. I love this drug because it has saved me from getting another blood clot. I have not had any side effects at all. This medication can be hard to regulate, you just have to keep on a similar diet. I do sometimes miss the activities I am not supposed to do, but being worry free is so much better.

Comment from: mikein gilbertaz, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 15

I started taking Coumadin in 1989 after an aortic valve replacement. I have had a few minor side effects, but I have snow-skied, am a 2nd degree black belt in TaeKwonDo and have never had any serious side effects that I would call life threatening. I guess I'm just lucky I can tolerate the drug pretty well. My health improved drastically after the new heart valve, so I have no problem taking the drug for the rest of my life. It's a fair trade off for the alternative. Life is good.

Heart Health