Crestor User Reviews

Crestor - User Reviews

Crestor User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Crestor sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: phobson, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 19

This medication has been effective in reducing my bad cholesterol and increasing my good cholesterol. However, it seems that the neuropathy and myalgia caused by it is irreversible and had I known the side effects and what to look for when the side effects occured, I would have stopped taking it long ago. I only recently realized this drug was what was causing my problems. My doctor has (was nice enough) to give me samples for the last 1+ year. None of the samples included a leaflet/brochure that outlines possible side effects, so when my muscles ached and I had trouble sleeping or concentrating, I attributed it to stress, over-work, under-work, etc..... I have stopped taking it, but it seems that it is too late for my muscles. They have had permanent damage.

Comment from: dfloydr, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 28

This medication did a good job of dropping my cholesterol levels. I quit because of the extreme muscle pains it caused in my lower back and some leg muscles. These were so severe that I could barely get out of bed and could not drive safely. Once I stopped, within two weeks I was back to normal.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 28

Afer my fourth night on 5 mg of Crestor I began experiencing severe cramps in my lower legs and feet. The cramps distorted the position of my feet.Had to get up 2-3 times a night to walk it off. Thought the cramps was from dehydration ,so drank more water and continued taking the Crestor. On the 7th day the calf and foot cramps were so severe I couldn't walk from one end of our small Mall to the opposite end. I am in very good physical shape and couldn't walk. I had to stop, take off my shoes,sit for awhile and then walk barefoot for over 20 minutes to get some of the cramps out. I drove home and threw out the Crestor. 3 days off the meds and no more cramping. Very scary feeling that so low a dose can have such a severe side-effect! I'm glad I read similar reports from other users.

Related Reading: dehydration

Comment from: agatha, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 08

after 2 1/2 yrs on crestor(plus more yrs on other statins) I read the reviews and knew I could have written them all. Total body pain, fuzzy mind,severe malaise, sleeplessness, constipation,diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, steroid injections for the back pain, foot pain requiring shots in the heels etc., unable to walk 100 ft. without sitting down, severe muscle weakness. Stopped the crestor in July and became a vegetarian. Started 1000mg of niacin and 500mg of garlic daily. One Dr. said it could take 2 yrs to get rid of the side effects and maybe never for some of them. Don't know the numbers yet but I feel almost human again and have regained energy and greatly reduced pain. I'll never take another statin. My Dr. is backing me on all of this and monoriting the alternative treatments

Comment from: BB044@AOL.COM, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 12

My heart Doctor put me on Crestor about a year ago, I have been complaining of muscle cramps since I have been on it, they finally done some blood work on me and it has broken my muscles down and damaged the muscles in the only kidney I have, I went and had glucose tolerance test done and now i'm diabetic.Dont know if it's the crestor causing me to be diabetic or if it caused a false reading,there were days when I could hardly get out of bed I was hurting so bad and then I began to swell all over it was terrible.Ive been off it for 2 days and the swelling is gone but the muscle pain is still there, I hope and pray to GOD I heal from this medicine.How could anyone put you on something that could damage your body so much I don't know but believe me you do not want to take Crestor it's has terrible side effects.I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE!

Related Reading: muscle cramps

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 25

Never again. Like many, I developed horrible cramps and muscle pain to the point I couldn't function on a day to day basis. Plus, it lowered my HDLs down to the risk level. So, I took myself off the medication and it took weeks before I was nearly back to normal. Months later, I do wonder if I have some permanent damage. I have learned many things since then. I was always told by Doctors don't eat after midnight for a cholesterol test. I would snack late into the night, but always stopped at midnight. I always had my blood taken first thing in morning so I could eat breakfast later. I have since found out one should fast 10 - 12 hours at a minimum, and certain foods will impact the test if eaten within 24 hours. After I did the "no eating after midnight fast", my total cholesterol was near 300...very high. Again my PA wanted to put me on another Statin. I said No. After reading this website and others, I waited a couple of weeks for a second test. This time, I just ate fruit, oatmeal and veggie soup then fasted 12 hours. My total cholesterol dropped to 224 and all of my numbers were near optimal except my LDLs. Since I don't have a genetic propensity for high cholesterol, I decided to make some lifestyle changes to get where I need to be. Plus, even with an elevated LDL, other tests suggest my lifestyle makes up for my slightly elevated LDLs. I wonder how many people are being prescribed Crestor due to improper testing. The upside, it forced me to become even more responsible for my health; don't take doctors/PAs opinion or lab results as the gospel (my mistake), and I have improved my diet and lifestyle because I never want to take crestor or another statin again. I hope my horrible experience with Crestor will help you.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.