Cymbalta User Reviews

Cymbalta - User Reviews

Cymbalta User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Cymbalta sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: bert, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a medical doctor who studied psychiatry and a patient who is taking Cymbalta for depression. I took the med for about 2 years with remission and, with my psychiatrist, weaned slowly from 60 mg per day to zero over about 6 weeks. For several reasons, the depression returned about 6 months later and I again responded positively to restarting Cymbalta at 30 mg. It helps me with anxiety, negative thinking and improves sleeping. I have tried other antidepressants. Each person reacts individually to the positive and negative effects of antidepressants. Statistically, they all have about the same success rate but which one(s) work for one person is individual and so are the side effects. Many postings are not sensitive to these facts. For instance, some are more stimulating and better with lethargy, some are more sedating and better with anxiety. Beware of the negative postings for any of the antidepressants which say things like: drug should be banned, had a terrible time coming off the med, etc. Also, symptoms such as sleep problems, appetite/weight issues, libido, may be due to depression and anxiety or might be side effects, it depends on the patient and is best determined by careful medical evaluation and over time. I personally tried another antidepressant recently for about 10 days and had insomnia and anxiety which both promptly improved when I stopped this med and restarted Cymbalta. This is not an endorsement but an individual anecdote which may be helpful.

Related Reading: Cymbalta | depression | anxiety

Comment from: Veronica, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 02

Although the cymbalta did treat my depression to the point that I could function once again, I do have a couple of major complaints. There was not nearly enough information provided to me regarding side effects. I am someone who actually reads the pamphlet that the pharmacist gives you. No where to be found are the severe impact it can have on your weight. Over time, and I have been on it approximately 18 months. Upon further investigation on my part, I have found that cymbalta actually enters your fat cells and STAYS THERE! OVER TIME the weight creeps on and on. To top that off are the severe side effects when you are trying to ween yourself off of it. For example, I have gained 15 POUNDS in the two weeks while trying to eliminate cymbalta from my life. Not to mention the other awful side effects: brain zaps, mood swings, high blood pressure, urge to urinate one second & not making it to the bathroom the next, diahrea, joint pain, brain fog, adema, slurred speech and others. Think twice before using this drug. In the 18 months that I have been taking it I have gained 34 pounds. On a 5'1" frame thats another whole person practically. I was in a size 6-8 petite, and now I am busting out size 16's. Talk about a reason to be depressed!!! It's been 17 days and the brain zaps are almost gone and I am "starting" to feel like myself again-except for the weight gain. If I was eating carbs, sweets, etc. that would be one thing. But I follow a high protein, high vegetable diet. Really consider the consequences.

Related Reading: high blood pressure

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 28

I have been on Cymbalta for about 8 months now after being on 150mg of Effexor XR (450mg Effexor XR) 5 years ago but I tapered down myself. But NEVER totally get off of it if you have been at a high dosage for a year or more, I thought the world was coming to an end, crying etc. Then I took a 75mg from my Psy and in a couple hours I was ok. The Cymbalta I started 8 months ago was a 60mg pill by my family Dr. replacing the 150mg Effexor XR (Burn out or tolerance) and the change over was no problem and it did benefit I think, it's hard to tell. So...I wnet to a Psychiatrist and he doubled the Cymbalta to 120 mg. That seemed to do the trick! He mentioned the 60mg max was not helping his patients so he conferred with other Psych's and they said their patients did well with taking 2 of the 60mg Cymbalta's. In addition, I take Clonazepam 1mg after work and 2 mg at night for teeth grinding. If I son't have it at night I WON'T sleep. So be careful. It's like Xanax but last longer and the effect comes on much slower than Xanax. Good Luck with your depression. Remember, it's a brain chemical imbalance, NOT YOU! I got it from my father's side of the family. He's depressed all the time and won't take anything just like his father and his father's father committed suicide. So...it's not a weakness, it's a disease. Remember that! God Bless you all!

Related Reading: Effexor XR | Effexor | teeth grinding

Comment from: Sarah, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 10

I started taking Cymbalta 30mg then to 60mg. It worked wonders for about 2 or 3 months. Since then I am living in my own HELL trying to get off of it. I recommend anyone that is thinking of trying this, PLEASE look it up online! I am not the only one going through this. The withdrawal symptoms are so severe I keep giving in and finally taking it again just to feel some relief. This time I am not going back. I want this horrible drug out of my system. When I was on it I couldn't sleep. I tried ambien and lunesta, and they didn't work. The withdawal symptoms include horrible physical pain and weakness, intense periods of depression and crying. Feeling like you are lost. If anyone has ever seen a Cymbalta commercial, thats exactly what you will feel like when you try to wean yourself off of it. I hope this can be helpful to anyone.

Related Reading: sleep | ambien | lunesta