Cymbalta User Reviews

Cymbalta - User Reviews

Cymbalta User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Cymbalta sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Ryan from Texas, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 26

I've lived most of my life with a severe panic disorder. When I was first diagnosed as a child I was put on paxil and it helped but later in life was switched to Cymbalta because of sexual side effects with paxil. Cymbalta worked great for my panic attacks, it gave me energy I felt great, I didn't have the constant overwhelming anxiety over my head and it was amazing... until the effects started wearing off. After about a year it felt like the Cymbalta was sucking energy from me instead of giving it to me, I was tired physically and mentally, I started getting bran zaps, sometimes slurred speech, confusion or brain fog, and I could feel the anxiety slowly creeping back in the picture. So my doctor switched me over to Prozac however getting off of Cymbalta is no easy task! You experience horrible withdrawal symptoms such as: horrible physical pain and weakness, brain fog, uncontrollable muscle tremors, extreme nausea, feelings of being lost or out of place, intense periods of depression and crying, heart palpitations, dizziness, extreme anger, migraines, and the list goes on. To say the least, it's no cake walk and you probably will slip and take one just for a break in the withdrawal symptoms but be strong and stay at it and the symptoms will slowly subside. I finally stopped having withdrawal symptoms about 2 months after stopping Cymbalta. I implore anyone researching Cymbalta to try Prozac first; I've been on it for about a year and a half now and couldn't be happier. I hope this helps! Always remember you're not alone in this and stay positive. Never give up hope, life is beautiful behind the veil of depression and anxiety. Tomorrow the sun will rise and bring with it a new day with many new possibilities :) God bless!

Related Reading: paxil | sexual | panic attacks

Comment from: shark, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 01

I have tried many kinds of antidepressants, which never really worked for me. Three years ago my doctor prescribed Cymbalta for me and within four weeks, I was happy, I was literally a new person and it just felt good to feel normal. I tell everyone that it is my miracle drug. It really is. I love it and I'm grateful that I can finally take somthing that works for me. Very very grateful actually!

Related Reading: antidepressants

Comment from: SimsplyRuth, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had acute clinical depression from childhood and have sought a medication or combination of meds that would at least take away the urge to committ suicide for over 30 years. Nov 2007 I was prescribed cymbalta, early Dec it was increased to 60mg at night and 30mg in am. Just before Christmas I awoke one morning - and was so happy to be alive. This has occurred, but never for any length of time, on and off in my life - but into the first week of June and regardless of outside influences which have been at times traumatic - I still wake up each day happy to be alive, a mood which stays with me until the next morning. This medication in my opinion is the miracle I had been told by age 60 I would probably never see. The change in the subconscious mood from wishing to be dead into hoping to live until 100 so I can truly live life is one of the 3 most important things that is in my life- the other two being my adult children. I would love to do a commercial and public appearances to let the world know (1.) cymbalta gave me the life I never had .. and (2.) if this does not work for someone he/she should never give up the hope of finding a med that will

Related Reading: suicide

Comment from: lucky13, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 18

PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU'RE COMING OFF CYMBALTA! There are some real horror stories on here. I had a great Dr. managing my meds...I was very concerned about withdrawal side effects, so we took over 3 months to get me off it after I was "done" (I was on it for 1 yr after it had started working to make sure I did not relapse after coming off). Don't rush! If you rush, you get bad side effects. I started at 60mg and went down 10mg every 2 weeks. Near the end she had me open the 20mg capsule, dump about half the contents out and reclose capsule and take it. Then I took about 1/4 capsule. Then I went to 1/4 capsule every other day. I started to get bad vertigo at one point, so she had me step back to last dosage and start to decrease again once no side effects were there. She also warned me that during withdrawal you can get what appears to be depression symptoms back (e.g. moodiness, lack of patience, crying for no reason, etc). I'm glad she did - otherwise I might have thought I needed to go back on it vs. it being a temporary thing while getting off the meds. It took over 3 months, but the process was a smooth one and I feel terrific. Also - remember that people tend to read and write reviews on meds when they're experience isn't that great. Most of these reviews sound terrible - but they are not a balanced view of what the med can do for you. Most of the people with no problems won't have a reason to take the time to come on here. Be patient with it! If you have lots of withdrawal side effects, talk to your Doc and slow the process down. There's no reason you have to feel terrible through it all. Cymbalta gave me my life back. I am a better wife, mother and friend after being on it. I would do it all over again if I had to.

Related Reading: vertigo