Cytomel User Reviews

Cytomel - User Reviews

Cytomel User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Cytomel sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

At the beginning of treatment my heart rate sped up and I had mild insomnia. However, after about 2 weeks my body adjusted and I had no additional side effects. It has worked wonderfully in treating my underactive thyroid, providing me with renewed energy levels, reduced fatigue, and aided in my ability to focus throughout the day.

Related Reading: insomnia | fatigue

Comment from: Kickboxer, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

A high heart beat, insomnia, and sometimes a tight chest. I exercise hard and often which has been affected by the shaky legs and racing heart. I think I need to back off the dose from 50mcg's to maybe 25mcg's.

Comment from: BonBon, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 15

Love this med. I have had hypothyroidism for many years. But I never felt myself. I am in my 50's now and told the doctor I was tired of being tired. My brain fog was getting worse. I ached all the time. I just felt that my chemistry was not right. He put me on Cytomel and I got immediate results. My aches and pain are gone. I feel more alert. Love it. I also take Levoxyl for the thyroid. The combination of the two has given me my life back.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism | Cytomel | Levoxyl

Comment from: jkat, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 28

I began taking Synthroid for my hypothyroidism. My TSH came down, but my free t3 levels remained low and I was still having many many symtpoms - hair loss, extreme fatigue, swollen eyes and feet, muscle aches, depression....on and on. My endocrinologist added Cytomel to my treatment & it has been wonderful!! I am not completely symptom free and I know I need a slight increase in meds, but the changes are amazing. I haven't had a single migraine headache, my balance has improved, hair loss slowed down, improved energy levels (although still not optimal), and my mood has greatly improved. I can't imagine ever going without this medication.

Related Reading: Synthroid | hair loss | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 30

I took Synthroid alone for ~4 years, but feel much better on a combination of 50 mcg Synthroid plus 25 mcg Cytomel - this combination has brought me down from 125 mcg of Synthroid as a sole treatment for hypothyroidism.

Comment from: mamaof2, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had hypothyroidism for about 13 years. For many years I was just taking synthroid, but then even when my levels were in range, I still had hypo symptoms, so I was referred to an endocrinologist. She said I was on too much synthroid and my t3 was receiving nothing, so my synthroid dose was reduced and cytomel was added. After about 2 weeks I started feeling normal again. I take both of them together first thing in the morning and then wait 1 hour to eat or drink.

Comment from: Tikij2u, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 13

USERS BEWARE!! Please check with your doctors - Yes, you will lose weight but, there will be a high price to pay. I felt great at first. Then when my family doc checked my thyroid it did not even register on my lab tests - it was fried! When I got a 2nd Endocronologist opionion about the dosage I was on she asked me if I was told about the side effects and of course I said NO. I "trusted" the doctor that gave me the medication. I was given a bone density test and in comparison to the test I had one year prior I suffered significant bone lose as a result of using the cytomel. I have since had to have major back surgery due to degenerative disc disease. It took a full year for my thyroid to function normal again and all of the weight I had lost came back. So the moral of the story is: it's a feel good drug that has it's price to pay and IT'S NOT WORTH IT IN THE END!

Comment from: DebbyNY, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been taking Synthroid for years and the last few years I am exhausted. THe doctor put me on Cytomel along with the Synthroid. I have more energy and have lost the 20 pounds I gained last year. But I have migraines and they seem to be getting worse and I am wondering if the Cytomel could be the cause. I have also sufferd from insomnia and itchy skin. I didn't assoiciate those with the drug until now. I am also concerned about one of the posts stating that it increases bone loss. I have osteopenia and have had back surgery. I don't want to reach osteoporous and am wondering if I should bring this up with my doctor.

Related Reading: osteopenia