Cytotec User Reviews

Cytotec - User Reviews

Cytotec User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Cytotec sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 20

I'm 29 y.o. and took Cytotec to soften my cervix prior to IUD insertion. I took it the night before my procedure and had some very mild cramping through the night. It helped make the insertion painless! I'm so glad my NP prescribed this medication.

Related Reading: Cytotec

Comment from: Worked Well, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 24

I took this drug as prescribed by my OB/GYN after confirmation of my miscarriage. I read some of the other reviews and was a bit concerned; however, my experience was suprisingly good. Prior to taking the pill, my OB/GYN advised me to take 800mg of Ibuprofen and also gave me Lortab for pain (as needed). I took the Cytotec at 5PM (vaginally as instructed... not orally) and the bleeding started by 9:30PM. The heaviest (large clumps) was between 12:45AM-3:00AM. I had absolutely NO PAIN and NO CRAMPING. In between changing out pads and letting the large clumps fall in the toilet, I slept. It truly wasn't nearly as unpleasant of an experience as I had anticipated. I had a D&C my LAST miscarriage and this was probably a less invasive process. Gross... but any miscarriage is.

Related Reading: miscarriage | Ibuprofen

Comment from: sizzle8807, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 08

The medication worked, was easy to use, but i was not satisfied with the results. I used this medication vaginally because i had a miscarriage and my body was not able to deliver the baby. My doctor sent me home to use it and i did everything just as she said. She said all that would happen is the baby will dissolve and pass just like a period. SHE WAS WRONG! I had pain so bad i was screaming for help, thats because i was in labor! The baby wasz coming out not dissolved it was a baby with a sac around it! This was a very bad expierence for me and i cant believe she sent me home with this treatment to deliver a baby myself! i was rushed to the ER where i was told that this medicine was not approved for this use!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 25

I was prescribed Cyctotec as an aid in the process of inserting an IUD (Intrauterine Device). Because I have never given birth, my doctor utilized this method as a way to dilate my cervix for insertion. This medication was not taken orally but rather inserted directly into the vagina. In terms of my satisfaction rating being 3/5, I attribute that to the less-than-pleasant feelings that were associated with the whole ordeal According to my GYN, the medication worked extremely well...although I beg to differ.

Comment from: huh?, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. Ultrasound showed all tissue passed but my uterine lining is thicker than it should be. Instead of d and c, dr. prescribed this med. I have been taking it for 3 days now and wondering what's supposed to happen. No cramping, and no bleeding so far. I was told the results would be irritability and a heavy period. Nothing yet. How long does it take to start working?

Comment from: PCOSpatient, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 17

Had a pregnancy, no heartbeat and no natural miscarriage. I chose to terminate versus wait and see as I have PCOS and prior complications from premature labor. Took Mifeprex 200mg orally. Then 24hrs later I took 800mg of IBU 20 minutes before taking the 800mg of Cytotec (dissolving in my mouth and then swallowing) (Doctor instructed me to use a lifesaver to aid in saliva production and mask the taste which worked very well). within 20 minutes my throat, stomach and uterus were spasming. 2hrs later the uterine cramps were regular and could feel the first gush of fluid. Cramps were uncomfortable only slightly worst then a normal period. Not taking any pain meds almost 24hrs later and feeling fine, aside from the natural awkwardness of a heavy period where you fear your pad leaking. Given my circumstance I would recommend this method rather than a D&C which seems more traumatic to me. I am at home and it is private. My doctor is a phone call or an email away.Did not experience insomnia or diarrhea so far so that is also good.

Related Reading: pregnancy | Mifeprex | insomnia

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 02

Was told by gyn to take two Cytotec pills before bed night before I was to have uterine biopsy next morning to make cervix softer/easier to get biopsy since I was 55 and hadn't had a child for 23 years. I had been bleeding heavily with clots for over a month. About 30 min. after taking the Cytotec I experienced heavier cramping, bleeding, felt weak and nauseous. I was unable to sleep at all that night for the pain and having to get up and change pads. Was barely able to walk in dtr. office next morning for biopsy. Told them I would never take it again. Had another uterine biopsy recently and did not take it. It was no problem doing the biopsy so apparently didn't need the Cytotec the first biopsy. Please think twice before using this, especially for a biopsy procedure. It was unnecessary for me and I wouldn't want anyone else to experience what I did. It was really very scary as I was alone and so weak I could barely get out of bed to change pads but had to. I had to call my husband, an RN, at work who works nights to come home and really thought I would need to call 911 or go to emergency room. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!!!

GI Disorders