D. H. E. 45 User Reviews

D. H. E. 45 - User Reviews

D. H. E. 45 User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication D. H. E. 45 sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: HunnyBunny78, 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 10

This medicine so far has been the best that I have ever been treated with. I was in the ER and everything they were giving me through the IV just wasn't helping at all. When the nurse came in and said that the doctor order another dose of medication then she explained to me that it was a very potent drug called D.H.E. Then she reassured me that it wasn't a narcotic and as soon as she said that I was SOLD. At first I wasn't sure if it was going to work but she assured me after about 20 mins I should be doing fine. The only side effect that I had after she gave it to me was heart burn. If that is all I have to deal with to have a medication work on my migraines I WILL TAKE IT!!!!!

Comment from: Ja'aj, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 25

My first experience with D.H.E. 45 was in an E.R. in about 1986... I have gotten migraine since 1963. The protocol was Compazine I.V. first and 15 minutes later, the D.H.E.45, I.V. It was the first time in my life that I walked into an E.R. with a migraine, and walked out without it. My M.D. and my neurologist BOTH! wrote me perscriptions for the vials, so I could give myself the shot. I bought them 20 at a time. My veins "roll", so I wasn't going to mess with "I.V." I snapped the neck off the glass vial, drew the drug into a syringe, twisted around to the side, and gave myself a shot in my hip. (I.M.) (High, where all the fat is.) No lessons; I been getting shots for YEARS. I wasn't afraid of something I knew would stop that headache. And it did. It does. 40 minutes later; no headache. It works every time in 40 minutes. It never fails. I know it doesn't help everyone. Very few things do help "everyone". I tell EVERYONE I meet who have Migraine- about D.H.E 45. It surely helped me. It has taken the fear of that headache away. I used to -in the beginning- also load and inject Vistaril with the D.H.E. 45; to prevent possible nausea. I stopped taking the Vistaril after about 3 years. No nausea. I have -finally- almost stopped getting migraine. I don't miss it. I credit "outgrowing" them to some extent. Mostly I credit the D.H.E.45. It gave me back my life. The E.R. doctor told me that D. H. E. had been on the market for over 10 years when she mentioned it to me. She was surprised I han't heard of it. Thank God she had.

Related Reading: migraine | Compazine | headache

Comment from: cannonofski, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 23

This has been a wonder drug for me. My quality of life was in the toilet and I was facing not being able to hold a job because of the headaches. I finally found a neurologist that was willing to do whatever it took to find an answer. He taught me how to inject myself with DHE and 14 years later I still using it to relieve my headaches. I am sad to read that so many others have not had good experiences with this drug. It has always successfully abated my pain within a couple of hours. Every other drug on the market proved worthless and terribly expensive.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 11

I don't like injecting myself, but it does help with the migraines.

Comment from: hurtingnomore, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 02

Had a horrible 4 week bout of cluster headaches where it felt like I had been hit in the head with a 2X4, nothing would make it stop. Was admitted to the hospital and given DHE. The side effects were horrindous but I was willing to do anything to make the pain stop and it did. It worked wonders. But that was the roughest med I have ever taken.

Related Reading: cluster headaches

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 16

I did experiance a little shortness of breath and chest pressure- but that let up very soon after the medication was given (within 5 minutes) I was headache free! I like this drug because there is no sedation, no narcotics involved. It's nice because a lot of ER doctors look at migrainers as drug seekers. I get so frustrated with this! Another treatment that does work for me is Haldol and Cogentin given IV. Although be prepared to be "knocked out" for a solid 12-18 hours. Just thought i'd mention this.

Related Reading: Haldol | Cogentin

Comment from: Lucy, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 02

DHE is the only treatment that works for me and works like a miracle! I use a compazine suppository first, wait 20 minutes, and then give myself an injection in my hip, lie down in a dark room with ice packs on my head and a heating pad on my feet. I fall asleep, wake up 1 - 3 hours later feeling refreshed, clear-headed and in a very good mood. Now when I get a migraine, I know there's a solution that works 100% of the time. I've been injecting DHE for about 15 years.

Living Better

Find the secrets to longer life.