Dapsone User Reviews

Dapsone - User Reviews

Dapsone User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Dapsone sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 16

The drug sent my body into a lupus flare up. I was in bed with fever & constant body aches until I stopped taking the drug.

Related Reading: lupus | fever

Comment from: i have a case of mr. itchies, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 11

I have been using dapsone for 30 years. It is my miracle drug. I take it for d. h. Wheever a case flares up i can always count on this drug. My mr. itchies have moved around my body in regards to where the symptoms begin to show up. in the beginning they would always start on my butt cheeks and groin area. Then they moved to starting up on my earlobes. They have always, even today been most severe on and behind my knees and on my elbows and under forearm. Presently they tend to start on the tops of my feet. I don't know where I would be without this drug. Probably in a mental hospital.

Related Reading: dapsone

Comment from: Doug, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed with dH about 5 years ago, prob had it much longer without knowing. Dapsone worked great, relieved itching in 24 hrs. Now take 100mg every 4 to 5 days and this avoids major flare ups though I still get itchy and uncomfortable feeling if I take any gluten foods. I try to be gluten free but that is almost impossible to achieve, Very concerned to read that Dapsone may not be available - would not know what to do if I could not get it, itching is intolerable! I often get dizzy, short of breath and feeling "unwell" but this is better than the itch! I also have blood tests at least annually, so far all is well.

Related Reading: itching

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 29

I was diagnosed with Dermatitis Herpetiformis in 1979.I was covered head to toe in burning blisters. After starting on Dapsone & a Sulfa cream, my condition cleared very rapidly. I have had no side effects. My doctor keeps aclose eye on all my labs. Some mild anemia which he thinks may be the Dapsone. I continue to take 100 mg daily. Change in diet did very little. Only problem is pharmacey had to track down a manufacturer. They were only able to find one.

Related Reading: anemia

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 30

I have been taking dapsone for 1 and 1/2 years now for d.h. It has worked remarkably well for me with no side effects.

Comment from: cuttinedge, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 19

After the first day I developed an allergic reaction, I stopped taking it for one day-long enough for the rash to disappear. After I continued taking the pills and all symptoms cleared up. However it has only been two weeks. Hopefully it will last.

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: Cecilia, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 14

My blisters were gone, but the packaging is very difficult. Called the Co. 2x but this year they are very hard to open. My husband is strong and he had a hard time.

Comment from: David M, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 10

Diagnosed with Dermatitis Herpetiformis in about 1968. Initial dose 200mg per day . Very effective at clearing skin blisters but severe headaches associated with the medication. Went on gluten free diet in about 1970. Reduced dosage to nil over 8 years. Now have to take Dapsone occasionally even though very strict with diet. Presumably more sensitive to gluten than I once was and some cross contamination in some manufactured foods that should be gluten free. Does everyone now know that everyone with dH should be gluten free even if no gut symptoms?

Related Reading: gluten free diet

Comment from: Cary, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 04

I was on a high dose of prednizone to combat bullous pemphigoid, which I'd had for several years before it was definitively diagnosed through a pathological exam, and as my doc reduced the prednizone, the blisters returned more in both quantity and frequency--not as bad as with no medication, but still not neat--and staying on high doses of prednizone just wasn't acceptable (too many side effects). I started on a low (25mg) dose of Dapsone and gradually that was increased to the current 100mg/day, and I am now off of prednizone altogether. I now have a blister or two perhaps as often as 2-3 weeks apart. While I notice no side effects of the Dapsone (and the side effects of the prednizone are going away), I have had some anemia problems associated with the Dapsone, which we are treating with vitamin B12 supplements--and watching through regular blood tests. I had also been told erroneously that Dapsone "is not available"--which turns out not to be true--an error for about a week in the computer system that Walgreens uses. It is available, but apparently not in loose form and only in the annoying blister packs. Re the blister packs: bend it back and forth at the segment lines a few times before separating them, and one edge will come loose, making it easier to peel back the paper to get to the pill. All in all, Dapsone has been a pretty OK drug--and not having to contend with multiple blisters here and there on my old body is great!

Related Reading: bullous pemphigoid | B12