Daytrana User Reviews

Daytrana - User Reviews

Daytrana User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Daytrana sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: parent4life, 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 25

I have a 5 1/2 year old son who has been resently diagnosed with adhd. Me & my husband have been getting complaints since he was 3 and in daycare about his behavior. Although his adhd is part of who he is it also hinders relations with other kids his age, school activities, home life. We put off medicating for as long as we could until he was in to the school system. We went through may meds. at first. concerta, adderall, focalinXR. Focalin was great but my son started to refuse the pill. I felt so defeated!! I then read up on the Daytrana patch & asked his Doctor if this would be an option for him. Well Let me just start by saying this is the best thing I could have asked for for my Jade. He takes the 10mg patch and has been for about a month & a half now. He is more social at school. Getting better every day with school work & at home we only have to ask him to do things once as opposed to 10-15 reminders. I know you know what I mean by that!! No side effect other than redness that goes away by the next day. He eats well & and falls asleep around 9:30pm verses 8:30pm. I only give this to my son on school days not on weekends, holidays, snowdays. This is only for learning purposes. Good luck to you all who struggle with this illness or have love ones who are effected. It is the hardest thing I have had to watch but don't give up you will find something that will work!!

Related Reading: concerta | adderall | Focalin

Comment from: Brandy, 3-6 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: May 09

My son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 3. We had 3 different doctors confirm diagnosis before we took any additional steps. Right now, the main problem is his hyperactivity and impulsiveness. The daytrana patch is a lifesaver! Especially at his young age, he wouldn't swallow the pills. He actually refers to the patch as his special bandaid that helps him be good. We did have sleep issues also. He is so hyper that he would stay awake all night long. The doctors did give him a pill to help sleep at night and that has also been a lifesaver. The Daytrana has helped him act more like a normal kid and help him focus more in preschool. There are only 2 problems we've had with this medicine: his appetite is poor for lunch. Breakfat and supper are the best. Before the patch and after you take it off. I always give him a good snack before bed such as a bowl of cereal to help replace what he missed earlier in the day. The other is the skin irritation. We found that using olive oil to remover the patch helps remove all the adhesive and also lubricates the skin. I also use Eucerin cream to help keep the skin from getting dry. I hope this helps!

Related Reading: ADHD | daytrana | sleep

Comment from: manor713, on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 06

My son is 8 and has been on the patch for 6 months now. I also did not want to medicate, but there were very few natural choices that worked. Did the fish oils, outdoor activities, and he was still very unhappy and his school work and behavior at school was failing. He is very smart and it is very frustrating for him to not be able to work. I put the patch on in the mornings right before he finishes breakfast. It usually takes an hour or so to kick in..teachers say 2 hours..but his work is completed and his behavior is good. my biggest problem and it is very scary is that he will not eat at all when he is on the patch...he complains that it makes him nauseous if he does..so he will not eat until dinner time..i can't get him to drink anything or snack. i tried pbj sandwiches, instant shakes, protein shakes, etc..nothing. he is VERY skinny..i know he will fight me on the pills so i keep the patch..wondering what others have done in my situation. patch redness i use aquaphor, it was worst in the beginning, but better now. I also use baby oil after showers to keep area moist and control the dryness. also for the person that has trouble with getting the patch off the backing..I never throw these away..they are very expensive:-) I warm it up in my fingers first..it makes it easier to remove the backing. just rub it between your fingers for a few minutes, it has worked for me..cause I had her same trouble in the beginning. I wish there was more I could do for him...it's very hard to see them deal with this. thanks,

Comment from: mccscl01, 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 19

we have had amazing results. This drug was my last hope since my son who was 6 refused to try any more pills. This drug improved all his problems including his aggretion and violent issues. he's been on it for 1 1/2 year with great results and some small side effects. like irrated skin which was easily treated. we feed him healthy large meals for breakfast and dinner because he losses his hunger when patch is on. my son was to young at first to understand why he was being medicated, but when he started with daytrana he told me how the patch makes him a "happy boy" and how being bryce(his name) was easier now. Only downfall is after a year of usage we've had to increase his dosage and it takes twice as long to kick in (around 60 to 45 minutes)now. this medicine gave me a son i never knew i had and has made my family's life much easier. He had been kicked out of 4 daycare/schools now he's in 1st grade with excellent grades and he's even his teachers favorite student.

Comment from: * mrs b *, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: April 27

my son was diagnosed with adhd in 2006-07 at age 5 (kindergarten). he is now in 2nd grade, age 7. he started out on the straterra, which worked ok for a while, then the mood swings and anger outbursts got totally out of hand. we switched him to the adderoll, which worked great for a while, but he was a total mess when the meds wore off. we then tried the ritalin, much to the same effect. all the pills we tried made him lose lots of weight, major mood swings, etc. finally, in 2008 we switched him to daytrana after a friend recommended it (her son took it also). what a life saver!!! he no longer has to deal with taking pills twice a day, he is able to focus, his teacher said she couldn't believe the difference in attitude and behavior! his appetite still isn't the greatest when wearing the patch, but in the evenings he sure makes up for it! he's not lost any weight at all, in fact he's steadily gaining. we love what this med has done for him! :)

Related Reading: ritalin