DDAVP User Reviews

DDAVP - User Reviews

DDAVP User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication DDAVP sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: December 04

My 7 yr. old was put on this medication and it did not help his bedwetting. It should be out there that the FDA put out a worning about this medication. This is from the YAHOO website. The Food and Drug Administration said it has received 61 reports of seizures, two of which were fatal, among patients taking desmopressin, a drug that lowers the amount of water eliminated in urine. The agency said the drug can sometimes lower the amount of sodium in patients' blood to dangerous levels, causing the seizures. Desmopressin is sold by several companies, including privately held Ferring Pharmaceuticals, under names such as DDAVP, DDAVP nasal spray and DDAVP rhinal tube. The FDA has requested manufacturers to change the labeling on the drug's nasal-drop formulations to no longer recommend use for bedwetting, as children may be especially susceptible to dangerously low sodium levels. The proposed revised label would also state that desmopressin should no longer be used by patients with a history of sodium deficiency. The drug is still approved to treat excessive thirst, urination and dehydration caused by injury, surgery and certain medical conditions. Labels on desmopression tablets, the FDA says, should also advise patients to stop using the drug if they experience vomiting, diarrhea or other conditions that lower fluid levels. The agency said all forms of desmopressin should be used carefully by patients taking drugs that cause them to drink more, including antidepressants. This is a medication that I am glad my son had been taken off of about a month ago.

Related Reading: bedwetting | DDAVP | DDAVP nasal spray

Published: October 10

Yes, my son's bed wetting had decreased, but he suffered a seizure and had been hospitalized for three days from it.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 24

curious about recent reports of seizures,etc-what dose were these patients getting?

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 12

My son,11, has taken this med for over 6 months. He was dry from day 1 with just one pill. We did not 'take a break' after a couple of months as directed by the md. About 2 months after beginning this treatment, he became very irritable, angry and prone to explosive episodes of frustration and aggression, even hitting himself in the forehead with his fist. We started behavior therapy and I took him off the drug 8 days ago. He has been dry every night since, and his mood has improved to the point where he has stopped hitting himself and is much less irritable, more like a normal 11 year old boy! We will keep him off for another week or two and watch his mood and behavior and talk with his md and therapist before deciding whether the drug is to blame for the episodes. Hope this is helpful.

Comment from: KK, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 30

My son was a bed wetter from day 1. The doctor told us about this drug but said it works beeter on kids age 6 and up, we got the doctor to give it to us at age 5, we started with 1 pill and still had wetting we increased it to 2 still wetting, when we gave him 3 pills a night NO MORE BED WETTING! It was a mircle drug for us he used it for a year after that, we decresed to 2 pills and still had sucess. By age 7 we would do 1 or 2 pills if he had a late night sports practice or game in which he drank a lot other regular nights we just watched the fluid intake after dinner and he went to bed with no pills and did fine. He is now 9 and I can't remeber the last time we used them. This medication was the best thing that happened to our family, we all started getting a good night's sleep and waking up refreshed ready to start the next day! We never experienced any side effects and he never complained about taking the medicine. It is a huge boost to be able to sleep at a friends house and not have to tell them you are a bed wetter. I say try this medicine for yourself before you make up your mind from these reviews.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 20

My son took this for about 7 days and then started feeling faint and would just lay on the floor and couldn't get up. I took him off after the 2nd day of his faintness. It was pretty scary to watch. The drug did stop the bedwetting after the 2nd day of taking it but it's not worth the risk to see an 11 year old healthy boy faint like that.

Comment from: Mom of 10 year old boy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 05

My son was on this medication for a year... with mixed results. I took him to the urologist at Childrens Med Center WA, DC. and was told NOT to use this medicine, it was put on the FDA black box list, AND was told by the doctor that 80% of the children they see are merely DEHYDRATED.. and DON'T need medicine, they merely need to drink 8 oz of water and then pee and continue that throught he day. The doctor stated the bedwetting is a function of their stools not passing due to their dehydration. The next day, and every day there after for the past 3 years, he has been drinking his water, peeing, and NO MORE BED WETTING. Doctors should be sued for presribing this medicine, when a simple solution (drink fluids and pee) is the answer... I hope this helps every Mom out there, who is tired of cleaning bed linens. I learned about the water drinking issue when my son was 10.. All pediatricians should know this simple solution, drink water and pee.

Related Reading: dehydration