Decadron User Reviews

Decadron - User Reviews

Decadron User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Decadron sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: SharKe, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 22

I take decadron to treat inflammation caused by radiation and chemotherapy for a malignant brain tumor. The drug is a blessing and a curse. The brain swelling causes a host of neurological problems, such as grand mal seizures, right-sided weakness, memory and cognitive impairment, and severe headaches, which have severely affected my quality of life. Although decadron has reduced these symptoms, even a dose of 12 mg/day combined with 3 anti-seizure medications has only given me a piece of my life back. For the first 6 weeks on decadron I did not sleep more than an hour or two or night (sleep meds were worthless) and I was hyper-aggitated and extremely irritable, but eventually my body adjusted and those symptoms improved. Although trivial in the grand scheme of things, decadron resurrected my adolescent acne problems. I'm 41 and going through puberty again. Ugh. I get tremors in my hands, tingling and/or pins and needles in my legs and feet, and my legs get weak walking up stairs. I take Nexium to avoid the GI upset/ulcers expected from decadron, but I still get a lot of acid reflux. I also have a ravenous appetite so I keep an eye on my weight. The bottom line is with long term use decadron can cause serious side effects as it shuts down your adrenal glands. Some patients develop a bloated appearance and moon face. Unfortunately it is hard to get the adrenal glands to kick back in to gear, so the weaning process is slow and painful. My doctors worked with me for 6 weeks to wean down my dose to 2 mg per day, only to have to return to 12/mg a day because the seizures returned. Ultimately the goal is to find the lowest effective dose. Good luck to those, like me, who have no alternative but to take this drug.

Related Reading: decadron | tumor | seizure

Comment from: ROB, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 15

I was diagnosed with a brain tumor(megelablastoma) in Oct.2006, I was 35 yrs.old, immediately started decadron 4mg 2times daily, had a 15 hr surgery for tumor removal 6 days after being diagnosed,I was released from the hospital 5 days following surgery no chemo was needed but I had to have an extended period of radiation, and several weeks of physical therapy resulting in very acceptable results, BUT, my problem is that I can't get off of the decadron, I have been very slowly and cautiously weened off of the medication 4 times since the surgery but between 6 to 8 days of NO DECADRON the projectile vomiting and horrible stomach turning nausea begins and every time, the nausea and vomiting results in severe weight loss and the doctors after a very short while start me BACK on the medication immediately, and after 3 days it all subsides, I can eat, boy can I eat, no more nausea nor vomiting, but then the mood swings,shortness of patience,irritability etc... begins all over again, it will be 2 yrs. in October 2008 and I am still on the on again/off again rollercoaster ride, I have boy/girl twins that are 6 and a very tired wife who needs for dad to get off and stay off of the medication, I still remain tumor and cancer free thanks to GOD, now I need to become DECADRON FREE !!!

Related Reading: nausea and vomiting | cancer

Comment from: miracle, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 30

I had to take decadron to decrease edema in my head, from recurrance of brain tumor. I took it for 4months I came off of the drug slowly. My hands shook so bad and I could'nt hardley walk up stairs and I'am still having difficulty with that.Extreme mood swings,crying,no sleep even taking anxiety pills did'nt help.Oh well hope that my legs and feet and muscle get back to normal again. It did however relieve my swelling in the brain.

Related Reading: edema | sleep | anxiety

Comment from: cliffb, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

I was prescribed Decadron to reduce the swelling of a brain stem tumor caused by Neurofibromatosis 1(NF-1). Original dose was 4 mlg 3 times a day. Attempts to reduce the dosage prior radiation treatment resulted in the return of life threatening symptoms. Dosage now is 3 1-mlg tabs twice a day. Initially, side affects like intense hunger, some irritability and inabilty to sleep were bothersome, but easily dealt with. This drug is a complete life saver for my situation and would be in the hospital without it or a similar acting medication. I have yet to start radiation treatment at the time of this writing, and am hopeful that reduction of the (inoperable) tumor will be sufficient to no longer need the drugs.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 07

I had brain surgery and after sugery I had to take this medicene for swelling in the brain. It has caused many problems for me, here are some of them. Extreme nervousness, emotional problems, crying, rage, all kinds of very extreme over the top problems. But I have to take it because I am recieving Radiation therapy along with Chemotherapy with another drug Temodar. I hope this will help some one with their condition, I think the drug works good, but has very bad side effects that I did not understand until being taken off of them slowly.

Related Reading: Temodar