Depakote ER User Reviews

Depakote ER - User Reviews

Depakote ER User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Depakote ER sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Satanlka, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 25

Yes this medicine worked for me, but it also made me gain lots of weight, lost my hair and worst of all gave me LIVER DISEASE. I would not recommend ANYONE to take this medicine, there has to be something better out there. I am sicker now than I have ever been because of my liver. It's not worth it.

Related Reading: LIVER DISEASE | liver

Comment from: kathy, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 18

In the past the doctors I had gave me lithium on and off since 1979, it always puts me in hospitals, now back in 1996, I started on the depokate and it has work much better and am on for life. I have more education now and have remain out of hospital since 1999. Always will take this medicine, while it still safe for me. Am taking a low dose of prozax and that has helps me also. Very happy with the result....

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

The medication has greatly lessened my migraines, but I lose alot of hair daily and I get agitated very easily!!!! I rather be bald and mad than be throwing up with a migrain.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 03

Please speak up for yourself or have a loved one clearly convey your wishes when taking a mood altering medication. Depakote not only robbed me of some of my prime years because I was in a slumber state and unable to articulate my cocoon state but left me in a deep haze. I should not have been driving but that is when I hit a pedestrian in a cross walk mind you and it left my family in horror that we could be sued for every penny we own for the next three years until they settle. I never felt ‘right' on Depakote. I lost concentration and they kept increasing the dose after my blood work was not registering high enough. Finally, I left school and left my doctor and Depakote! If you are a loved one reading this sometimes a loved one needs your help with medication when they are being over medicated…

Comment from: Curious_LilCat, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 01

Sorry, but this medication was not worth it. It increased my appetite. As a result, I gained over 40 lbs in the 3 years I was on it. My libido was non-existent, I was always tired, I was highly irritable, and STILL kept getting migraines. It wasn't until I requested a copy of my labs be sent to my Primary doctor, that I found out that my Liver profile was that of someone who was about to go into liver failure. My primary doctor demanded I stop taking it immediately and go to the specialist to request a different medication. Needless to say, he seemed to think my primary doctor and I were undermining his expertise and reluctantly agreed to cease the medication, but had no other replacements. Bottom line, I don't think it was worth the serious effects to my personal, physical, and sexual aspects of my life. Not to mention the expense ($150 for a 3 month supply).

Related Reading: sexual

Comment from: shaun, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 09

ive been taking this drug for around 7 months and it has controlled my anger episodes well. and little if any side effects. i cant say itl work well for everybody. people have to find what works for them and dont give up.

Comment from: cydneyj, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 09

Able to have more control over my Bipolar mood disorder. Have been stable with this medication and combination of an antidepressant for many years.

Comment from: Ebonyc28, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 18

I have had migraines for 15 yrs and I'm only 25. Somehow, I've managed not to apply for disability but have had trouble with employement and school. I've been to several doctors and specialists over the years in different states, (a chiropractor, ear nose & throat specialist, acupuncturist, psychiatrist, 3 neurologists prior to this one) and have been on everything from Midrin, Inderal, Elavil, Wellbutrin and Topamax. 150 mgs of Topamax seemed to reduce my migraines but had to deal w/terrible sharp pains in my hands and feet. I maintained a weight of 123-126. I stopped the Topamax when I learned I was pregnant. I tried resuming it when I was done breastfeeding but it didn't work any more & I dropped 12 lbs in a month. After trying Inderal and Elavil (made me light-headed & sleepy), I tried Depakote ER 500mg. Within 2 months, it seemed to reduce my headaches to functioning level but I was always hungry. Then during 1 of the most stress-free times of my life, they flared up w/a vengeance. My PCP and neuro incr. my dose to 1000mg. 5 months from when I first started this medication, I'm already 7lbs heavier and not seeing any improvement. I'm going to try seeing a neuromuscular dentist next. The trade-off doesn't seem right. Its expensive from what I hear but I've tried everything else. OH and I feel it has decreased my sex drive dramatically as well.

Related Reading: Midrin | Inderal | Elavil

Living Better

Find the secrets to longer life.