Depakote ER User Reviews

Depakote ER - User Reviews

Depakote ER User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Depakote ER sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 05

I have been on Depakote 500 mg at night for going on four months now, along with40 mg Prozac in the morning. I have not been more pleased with a med than I am with this. I am much more calm and less aggressive, the racing thoughts are pretty much gone, and I'm sleeping better. The only thing I have noticed is a slight hand tremor. I am completely satisfied with this drug.

Related Reading: Prozac

Comment from: newfyman, Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 10

It is amazing how clear my head is. After all the years of being on SSRIs that put me in a hypomania phase, this medication has been a godsend. I also think as a healthcare professional that Depakote works better for bipolar type 2.

Comment from: devilishbraddy@yahoo.com, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 20

I feel that Depakote has help me faithfully with my diagnosis of being Bipolar, and I'm coping with it through life's up's and down's. I feel that my Depakote will help me for the rest of my life.

Comment from: rr, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 25

i began taking this medication a few months ago after a manic episode with many consequences and things calmed down A LOT after. it has really kept me much more rational and in control of my thoughts etc. i haven't gained a pound and usually sleep better. i only take 500 mg so that could be why i dont have the weight gain. i also take lamictal, im not sure how that affects things.

Related Reading: lamictal

Comment from: dalehoward, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 09

I take 1750 mg per day, but the nice thing about Depakote ER, vs regular enteric coated Depakote, is that I only have to remember to take this version once a day.

Comment from: KK, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 16

I'm a 50 year old "white collar" male & have had migraines since I was in my 20's - these have steadily gotten worse over the years. One year ago I was getting about one migraine every other day & would never go a day without some level of bad headache. I have been on most preventive drugs that exist & now take a few acute ones as needed. Also have gone through every test possible (like a sleep study, head & neck CAT & MRI scans, etc.), even tried acupuncture & chiropractics for treatment but they failed to help. About 9 months ago I started on a 1,000 mg night time dose of Depakote ER, am now at 2,000 mg. Not totally impressed with the results so far - still getting daily big headaches & the migraines are now stretched out to 3 days instead of 2 days. The downside is there are 2 annoying side effects: have gained 10 pounds & getting tremors in my arms & legs periodically, especially after physical stress like mild exercise (not too bad I guess). The upside is it helps me sleep better. My neurologist wants me to stay at this dose for another 3 months to see what effect it has, so I'm doing so. On a side note, my Dr. (who I trust) is a big believer in multiple meds at one time as studies show they can compliment one another, so I'm also on Gabitril 8 mg & Tizanidine 6 mg & Migralief 2 per day (non-prescription). Hope this info helps others.

Related Reading: headache | tremors | stress

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 08

Was put on Depakote after being diagnosed with bipolar. I had been having major rage episodes-screaming, crying, punching holes in walls, etc. I was also having severe mood swings. The Depakote is the only thing that keeps me stable. If I stop taking it or miss a dose, it is immediately noticeable. I take 500 mg. in the AM and 1000 mg at bedtime. I have not had a lot of side effects. I have increased appetite and gained a lot of weight (25 pounds in 6 months), and developed hypothyroid. However, I started taking Cymbalta right around the same time, so I'm not sure which drug caused the side effects. Anyway, I have had a lot of success with Depakote.

Related Reading: Cymbalta

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 30

Depakote ER has worked for the headaches but has caused me to gain 10 pounds.

Living Better

Find the secrets to longer life.