Depakote User Reviews

Depakote - User Reviews

Depakote User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Depakote sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 11

I've been taking depakote for 9 months and it has some what helped my mood swings, but it has really improved my concentration and anxiety problems. Depakote combined with adequate nutrition and exercise is the ultimate treatment for my bipolar dis order.People need to realize that medication alone will not provide them the best results. The worst thing about the depakote for me, is occasionally I have very blury vision. People are complaining about the weight gain due to depakote this has not been true for me.Without the sucess of depakote I could not be persuing a nursing career. I simply could not think.I hope it keeps working for me because other treatments have been a real night mare for me. Abilify and Seroquel about made me lose my mind. I was estatic when depakote worked for me!Though all people are different, I highly recomend it. Good luck and don't give up.

Related Reading: depakote | anxiety | Abilify

Comment from: shamrock1244, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 26

Depakote has been the old stand by in my treatment for my Bipolar.Please make sure to have the blood work done regulary, to check up on your liver.Have been on this drug well over 10 years.It has been a great mood stabilizer for me. Lithium never agreed with my system, causing me to have a great deal of stomach distress. Consider Depakote, it is a older drug but can be effective.Everyone is different though.Take care,best of sucess always.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: Ind8094, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 10

I have been BP all of my life and diagnosed at 13yrs but never remember being "level" or happy (even as a young child). I was misdiagnosed and mistreated for depression most of my adult life. After 5 days of taking DepakoteER I have noticed a big change. I am a rapid cycling bipolar (minutes not days and hours) I have noticed increased appetite, sex drive and enjoy time with my family that I have not had in 36 years of my life. I am calm, collected and NOT exhausted from my mania. Also, my depression now just a slight sadness that quickly disperses without much effort. I can now laugh and mean it, it isn't just the "appropriate response". This includes the smiling and the crying. I am no longer in the "fog" of BP but a REAL person with REAL reactions. I would take the side effects and risks to remain this way. I am a person for the first time in my life. When I began the medication, the first three days were a little rough with the changes my body made (urinating every hour, thirst and frequent bowel movements) but as the drug levels out, my body responds more normally now. I hope this post helps some of you. This drug has helped with my mania AND depression.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: CHRISTOPHERDOE, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 19

I'VE STUGGLED WIYH BI-POLAR DISRDER SINCE I WAS 5 Y/O.I'VE BEEN THROUGH MANY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS &MOST ONLY MADE THINGS WORSE.LAST AUGUST MY DOCTOR INTRODUCED ME TO DEPAKOTE 500 ER TWICE DAILY & 300 ONCE DAILY. SINCE AUGUST 2007 I'VE BEEN TELLING EVERY BODY THAT HAS HAD A ROUGH TIMR WITH BIPOLAR MEDS TO ASK THERE DOCTOR DEPACOTE.FROM 2001-2007 I STAYED AT HOME ALL THE TIME WITH THE DOORS LOCKED BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTROL MY TEMPER OR MY EMOTIONS.I ONLY LEFT THE HOUSE ONCE A MONTH OR LESS. MY FAMILY DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO HELP.I'VE BEEN ON PAXIL,WELL BUTRIN,ZOLOFT,ZYPREXIA,RISERADONE,PROZAC,XANAX & ALL OF THOSE DRUGS HAD LIMITED EFFECTIVENESS WITH ME.DEPAKOTE IS MY MIRACLE DRUG THAT HAS MADE LIFE WORTH LIVING LIKE NOTHING ELSE HAS.STRESS,FEAR OF LOSING CONTROL/BLOWING UP ON PEOPLE IS SO GREATLY REDUCED AS TO BE NO PROBLEM TO CONTROL AND EVEN FORGET ABOUT & JUST ENJOY BEING WITH FREINDS & FAMILY.JUST TRHINKING ABOUT THE CHANGE IN MY SINCE DEPAKOTE BRING TEARS TO MY EYES & I'M SO THANKFULL FOR DEPAKOTE FOR BEING ABLE TO HELP WHEN NOTHING ELSE WHOULD.

Related Reading: PAXIL | ZOLOFT | PROZAC

Comment from: storm1230, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 08

I am a 38 yo f with a large very active family. I suffer boughts of severe depression a couple times a mo or so. I am on Pristiq also. The dr prescribed 250 mg Depakote 4x day. I thought that was WAY too much so started out just taking 2 pills a day. Was too tired by 3 pm to keep up with football practices, etc. So I tried just taking one in the morn with my Pristiq. PERFECT!!!! No tiredness, I can't even feel anything from it other than I haven't had those super low days. I have found that I gained just a few pounds due to this crazy craving for ice cream on it..lol But as long as you excersice (which you feel more apt to do when you feel "normal")and watch your diet like you should to begin with you will be fine. I read all over the internet before taking this med and there are soooo many scary stories. I thought I would be a big fat bald woman or something..I am fine , actually better than ever. Please don't listen to all the hoopla online. Hope this helps someone like me!!

Related Reading: Pristiq

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.