Depakote User Reviews

Depakote - User Reviews

Depakote User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Depakote sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: wee2bnluv, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 13

My mood swings have improved and I can fall to sleep without my mind jumping from one thought to another.

Comment from: ajwhite1987, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 09

Great medication. I have been a guinea pig on several medications. Never was in a good mood always having up and very down crazy momments until prescribed to depakote. I believe it has changed my life. Im now happy and on my way to becomming a state trooper.

Comment from: concerned mom , 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: September 25

my 12 yr old has been taking depakote for about 9 months and has been gainin weight and complaining about always being hungry..could this be a side effect for this drug? his dr says that it shouldnt be but i have my doubts

Comment from: tamgrand3, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 11

After about a week, I experienced a decline in migraine headaches. Now, four weeks later, I have only had about 1-2 headaches. I was getting them daily for 4 years. The only side effect complaint is constipation.

Related Reading: migraine | constipation

Comment from: sarahkatara, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 13

Out of the dozens of medications i've been on to attempt to control my bipolar symptoms, Depakote is the only one that consistently works. it helps to keep my mood fluctuations in check and i have never experienced any negative side effects from it. i strongly reccomend discussing Depakote with your doctor as a possible treatment for bipolar depression and mania.

Comment from: bougierock, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 30

This drug has saved me. I feel more myself now. My mood swings were horrible, especially towards my children. This has changed things for me greatly.

Comment from: REEBEERENEE, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 04

I've been taking Depakote, 500 mg in the am and 500 mg at bedtime for 14 years now... my new neurologist just did a blood test on me a month ago and found that my Depakote level was low, so he increased my dosage, so now I take 1,000 mg at bedtime, and 500 mg in the am. I am 100% permanently and fully disabled for migraine headaches, for the rest of my life, and have been, for many, many years now... and Depakote has been one of the few meds that my doc. has kept me on, because of the neurotransmitter effect that ties in with the migraines... read up here on WebMD on Depakote, and it will tell you all about the neurotransmitters and how they affect migraine headaches... and Depakote happens to be one of the drugs that deals with those neurotransmitters, putting them in the proper balance, and therefore, relieving the migraine(s) before they even occur for the patient. (us!) So anyway, that's how I understand it on my end, after just reading up on it... feel free to read up on it yourself in these pages... my biological mother died of an anneurysm when I was only 4 yrs. old and she was 27 so it runs in my family... she too, had terrible, daily migraine headaches, as I have had for many, many years. Depakote has been working for me, for the entire time I've taken it, and I don't see anything wrong with it. That's my opinion and my experience with this particular medication. I hope this can be of help to some other people out there.

Comment from: beccasupermom, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 02

I take 1000mg of Depakote every day, 500mg in the am and 500 mg in the pm. It has worked very well for me. I have to say that it has worked extremely well now that I am also on Geodon in conjunction with it. I went through several psychiatrists before I found this one who has been wonderful in listening to me and altering my treatment plan to deal with unwanted side effects of other medications. The main thing that I have not liked about Depakote is the weight gain. I feel like I'm starving (literally) all the time and have increased appetite because of it. Overall, though, I would recommend it. I do believe that if you still have symptoms if on Depakote, ask your doctor because I have NO symptoms at all when coupled with the other mood stabilizer I am on. I feel happy, healthy, and great!

Related Reading: Geodon

Comment from: smhynes, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 30

My daughter who is 29 tried several different medications for bi-polar disorder, all the others made her gain weight, sleep all the time. This medication is working WONDERFULLY for her. No more major mood swings, acting eratic, living on the edge. This medication is probably not for everyone.SHe had to try several others and 3 different psychiatrist before we found the right one for her. She has been on it 3 months and could see a immediate difference in her.If you or a loved one suffers from bi-polar disorder do not give up, there is help out there. With medication and the right doctor they can be helped. She also had no side effects from this drug.We found her miracle.

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.