Depo Provera User Reviews

Depo Provera - User Reviews

Depo Provera User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Depo Provera sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: sheshealthy, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 28

I got my first Depo Shot six weeks after my son was born. That was 14 years ago. I love not having to try to remember to take a pill and not having a priod. I go every three months and get my injection, I have even bought my own and had my husband do it at home. Absolutely no problems. I gained a little weight, but I am losing it slowly (5 lbs a year) I had a bone density test and I have the bone density of a 35 yr old. I am 45. I have had some hair loss but that runs in my family. I love it!!!!

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: KatyDee31, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 12

DEPO-PROVERA RUINED MY LIFE!! I had a high & active sex drive with my partner until I was on this for 2 years. In addition to the commonly reported mood swings & sudden & intermittent periods for 12 months (which ruined a brand new mattress), I experienced total loss of desire & felt permanently vaginally sore & dry. I have been medically checked & have no infections, hormone imbalances or suffered any trauma. 9 years on I have never regained my sexual desire or enjoyment of sex. The problems I experienced are some of the side-effects listed in the product literature but at no time was this shown or discussed during the 2 1/2 years receiving it, only the few main side effects were advised. I know closely of 3 other women receiving this contraceptive for a similar time period. All experienced a variety of problems from severe depression, manic mood swings, loss of sex drive & 9 years on, ovarian cyst & excessive facial hair. None of us have ever returned to how we were before the injections. Doctors have all denied these problems are the result of the contraceptive but as men, they clearly do not know or have experienced it for themselves. Realistically thinking, how can it not damage the careful balance of the body & hormones, receiving massive doses of hormone injections which override & suppress nature?! It's too late for me, after only a couple of years. So if you're thinking of receiving it, despite assurances of medical staff, DO NOT!! It's a huge dose of known problems & the unknown. How will it permanently damage you? All of the people I know who have received it have continued to be affected by it in some negative way. Value your health & do not blindly trust the people who are supposed to know. There's lots of other contraceptive methods out there, please take the time to research other options; Depo-Provero will cost you more than a mattress & you won't know at what personal cost to your health & life until it's too late!!

Related Reading: PROVERA | sexual | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been on depo for 15 years. I didn't research the drug when I started and blamed the side effects (immense weight-gain depression, moodiness, and tiredness) on events in my life not the drug. over the last 2 years have come to realize that it is the depo. My last injection was in May and I have decided against getting my next injection and will discontinue permanently. It works great but the side-effects have gotten to be too much to bear anymore. I will post any side effects I feel upon discontinuing the drug.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 05

First of all, I am a guy who has been hurt by this medication. After about a year of being together my girlfriend decided that we we ready to take our wonderful relationship to the next level. She has blood clots/heart problems in her family so the doctors said that she couldn't take the pill. She started taking the Depo shot and every thing was pretty good. Things progressively got very bad. She was moodier than normal, she lost interest in sex, she started having seizure like episodes that she never had before. Towards the end of our relationship she ended up at the emergency room because the seizures and bleeding would just happen out of nowhere to the point that it was almost fatal. I wanted to take her place because of all of the suffering she was in. I worried so much and took care of her very well. The worst part was that she seemed to be emotionally hurt by everything I said and did, even if I said something that was very positive. It was almost like dealing with someone with bipolar disorder. After 4 and a half years of a mostly great relationship she one day just told me that she didn't love me anymore, and said it with very little emotion. I feel like I should have been a better partner and researched what was causing all this unnecessary drama. I still love her and miss her 4 years later because I know she is a great person. I blame the Depo shot for taking that great person away from me. It hurts me everyday.

Related Reading: blood clots | seizure | bipolar disorder

Comment from: Jem, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been taking Depo for about 5 years. Overall, I have been very satisfied with the medication. I have experienced minimal side effects while on the drug. I have only gained a couple pounds over the last 5 years, and do experience some moodiness that seems extreme time to time. I do not have any periods, except spotting for 2-3 days around the time I am due for my next shot. I did have one bad time period where I was very emotional at the time I received on of my scheduled shots, and I spotted for practically the whole 2-3 months until my next shot. That was very frusterating, but only happened once. Other than that, I am very pleased with the Depo shot.