Depo Provera User Reviews

Depo Provera - User Reviews

Depo Provera User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Depo Provera sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

It's great at preventing pregnancy but DO NOT stay on it long. If you're on it for over a year get regular Dexa Scans and take a lot of calcium. I'm 23 and I now have the early stages of osteoporosis due to taking this for over 2 years.

Related Reading: pregnancy | osteoporosis

Comment from: Jessica, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 16

I started taking Depo-Provera because there was a possibility my boyfriend and I would become sexually active. I knew I would forget to take a pill everyday, and when I talked to my gynecologist, getting a shot once every three months sounded easy and convenient. I was told it would take a month or so for the drug to fully get into my system, and so for the first few weeks everything was normal. But after a month, I started having a period that has lasted for the past 2 months. My once clear face is now covered with acne, I have frequent migraines, and my doctor says there's a chance I may be anemic due to so much blood loss. If there's anything helpful I can say to you, it's simply to not use Depo-Provera. I know there are people who have used it and had a positive experience, but if ahead of time I would've known the possibility of these horrible side effects, I never would have risked using it. All the negative reviews on this website and others are not bored people making something up, they are people just like you who are trying to prevent their negative experience with this drug from happening to others. All I'm saying is know what you may be getting yourself into ahead of time, because once Depo-Provera is in your system, you're gonna have to wait a while before it's out.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: 2ambivalent, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 28

I absolutely hate what this drug has done to me. I've been on the Depo shot since March 2010, no period since April. Gained 3-5 lbs. so far, have epsiodes of abdominal and back pain, headaches, extreme mood swings, cry at anything/nothing, bad depression, no sex drive, no orgasms, no feelings really other than sadness. I hate the person I've become. My partner is angry that I don't initiate sex anymore and that my body is not responsive to anything. He'd rather jerk off alone for two minutes than spend an hour with me and get nowhere. I don't know how to make him understand it's not him or me, but the medication. Making love has become making war. I feel like an 80 year old housekeeper and babysitter. I want this crap out of my system but just found out it could take between 7 and 18 months for that to happen. I will NOT be getting the next shot. If you're trying to decide on a method, skip this one, please.

Comment from: molly, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 22

I really wished I had read these other posts before I agreed to take the Depo shot. I am so glad to hear that others had the same difficulties that I had, for awhile there I thought I was crazy. I absolutely hated the Depo shot. I was switched over from the regular pill because I was having a reaction to the hormone mix and my doctor thought that the Depo shot would help. One week after I got the shot I started bleeding, and not just spotting, it was like my full period, however it lasted 2 months non-stop! During my time on Depo I have been gaining weight. I have been eating the same that I did before, but I tried to increase my workouts as I had read a side effect was additional weight gain. I cannot get the extra 15 pounds off that I have gained in the short time since I started using it. In addition, I have been so depressed. I thought that this was just me going through my last semester of college and all the other life stuff you deal with but this is so much more than that. I don't feel like doing anything, I am grumpy, not happy about anything, tired, sad, miserable and just not myself. Not only this I have absolutely no sex drive! What's the point of taking a birth control if you don't feel like using it ever. The last couple of months have been terrible, I will not get any further shots and I hope that no one else has to deal with this terrible product.

Related Reading: birth control

Comment from: wombatred26, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 19

I have been off Depo for over a year and have been trying to get pregnant the whole time, my husband and I have been unsuccessful in this endeavor and I haven't even gotten my period back! I gained wieght and was terribly moody the entire time i was on it and overall am just not satisfied with the results!

Published: September 30

I didnt have any periods. This was so much easier to use when I dont wake up the same time every day to take the pill. It would take only 10 minutes at the doctors office and then I would be set for 3 months.

Comment from: Greatb.c., 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 20

I have been on the depo since I was 17, I am now 24. I did experience MINOR spotting at the beginning which slowly decreased TO ABSOLUTELY NONE after short period of time. This usually was close to the time I was due for my shot. I choose this birth control for the ease of not having to remember to take a pill...Rest assure I was in a relationship for 6 years living together...so needless to say IT WORKS... I was concerned of the fact that they say not to be on this for a long period of time due to bone loss..but as a precautionary i asked my doctor to issue me a bone density test...which was perfectly normal about 2 years ago... I hear from alot of people that they got so fat on this ...personally i gained weight not from a drug...from eating at mcdonalds being comfortable in a relationship ...after gaining this weight i have recently in the past lost 54 lbs and kept it off for almost 2 years...so ladies don't blame the drug ...blame your eating habits! Definitely recommend this for everyone...I understand everyone is different and some people spot longer than most but it will stop in time...The fact that i hear all my friends complaining about periods ..just makes me smile and everytime i say "I am so thankful i dont have to deal with that!"