Depo Provera User Reviews

Depo Provera - User Reviews

Depo Provera User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Depo Provera sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Don't take this form of birth control, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 28

I was on the depo shot for 2 years, at the same time my best friend started it, I am now 23 and she is 22. We finished our treatments in early '06 because of many complications and violent mood swings and decided that it cant be natural not having a period for 2 years. Now almost 4 years later I cant get pregnant, I have a lot of bone loss, my friend has ostioperosis, and I have recurring abnormal paps which I never had before depo and I have undergone biopsys and a lot of time consuming doctor visits and constant pain. By the way, it took almost 2 years after stopping the depo to even get my period again. And my current doc said that the hormones from the shot are still in my cells and that is why I cannot get pregnant and there is no way of knowing when it will clear my system. Absolutely the worst mistake I have ever made. I wish I accidentally had gotten pregnant at an early age instead of ruining my chances of ever being a mom.

Comment from: Lucky, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 14

I got this shot to have something that would be convenient rather than taking a pill everyday, about 3 months ago. However, after getting this shot I experienced hair loss, nervousness, and anxiety. I decided not to get the second shot due to the agonizing affects. Shortly after the time period I was due for my second shot, severe depression and crying spells started to occur. Since getting this shot, I've now had to be put on the generic form of Paxil. There is no history of depression in my family and yet here I am taking pills for it. I wish I would have never the synthesized hormone put in my body. A hard lesson to learn and a large price to pay for convenience. Now I have to take an anti-depressant to get my life back and I now have to deal with weening myself off of it later. There are so many other options out there. I would do your research first. I unfortunately didn't.

Related Reading: anxiety | Paxil

Comment from: MyBonesHurt, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 24

I received my first injection last month. It has been nothing but TROUBLE for me physically. I have had the worst pain through out my body. The best way to describe it is as MY BONES ARE KILLING ME! I have been waking up in the middle of the night needing to use the bathroom or get a midnight snack and I can not get up right away because of my pain. I have been also waking up with my arms or legs being asleep, very tingly and numb. I DO NOT recommend this as an option of birth control. The only upside of this birth control is that no antibiotic can prevent it from working. Most birth controls are ineffective when you are on antibiotic. Thats not the case with this. But even with that said, its still not worth it and I also found out it decreases bone density and will cause future Osteoporosis. I am so off of this Birth Control and hope anyone who reads this will think of a different method of Contreceptive.

Comment from: Nates Ma, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 21

Everyone is different, and for me, each shot was different... The first was great! No period, no weight gain, no cramps... near the end I got a bit of PMS but that was it. The second shot brought some weight loss, clearer skin and still no period. Near the end I started having hot flashes, spotting, dizziness, severe mood swings,insomnia, fatigue, major back cramps, leg swelling and minor hair loss. (hair loss was worse after the birth of my son two years ago) I called the Dr begging for the shot early hoping to resolve the issues. I have since had the shot and most issues have been resolved. I am still having hot flashes, bleeding, leg swelling and insomnia. However now I am having panic attacks on top of it all. My Dr is taking me off the shot and putting me on the pill, but I have to wait till November.

Related Reading: hot flashes | dizziness | insomnia

Comment from: ladybug, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 08

1st shot May 2008, it's been down hill since then. Hair loss,MOOD CHANGES,depression,tiredness,nervousness,NO SEX DRIVE AT ALL :( I don't recommend

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 25

It took a couple of injections but it works for me. I not only have no more pain from endometriosis I no longer have a period when on Depo-provera IM. I have been suffering for about ten years with this conditon and have been told it's all in my head to you need a historectmy after being treated by many doctors I found one that knows what they are doing.

Related Reading: endometriosis

Comment from: KLisle, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 10

DO NOT GET THE SHOT!!! I got it a week ago and not even 7 hrs later I began experiencing stiffness and pain in the joints of my hands and arms. About 1:30 in the morning I woke my husband up crying because I litterally could not move! The weight of the sheets on my upper body was causing extreme pain! I couldn't lift my head off the pillow or roll over on to my side. It took us close to 20 minutes to go 50ft from the bedroom to the livingroom. Needless to say I went (by ambulance) to the ER. I was in so much pain that when they put my ID band on I was screaming in agony! The doctors had never seen anything like it! I am currently on a muscle relaxer, anti inflammatory and and antibiotic (b/c I have been running a temp of 101.2). And the worst part besides the pain...is that I can't even hold my 10wk old baby! All I can do is look at him! I would never reccomend the Depo shot to ANYONE!!!! It's definitely not worth the physical and emotional pain it puts you through!