Dilantin 125 User Reviews

Dilantin 125 - User Reviews

Dilantin 125 User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Dilantin 125 sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 04

I've been taking Dilantin, and tegretol for the past 11 years. Only recently did i find out from my new neurologist that Dilantin has several long term side effects. I haven't had a siezure for 2 and half years but i'm changing to a new medicine because i'm starting to show side effects of the long term use. Small tremors, which could be worse if i continue taking the medicine. Also I was told that in long term use it detiriates the back of the brain. I've also be showing symptoms of that, dizziness and trouble with motor skills. The medicine has worked well for me, but my overall experience is very bad. I wish someone would have told me about the side effects earlier so i could have started new medicine and caught these side effects before they started.

Related Reading: Dilantin | tegretol | tremors

Comment from: 007, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 11

I began taking Dilantin late in the year of 1994 at age 14 I continued to take the three times a day dose for 5 years, after a discussion with my neurologist we decided to discontinue treatment. The medication worked, however I had only ever experienced 2 gran mal seizures, and haven't had another since 1994. There have only been 2 notable side effects that would make me not take this medication again if needed. The dental problems I have developed over the years despite excellent oral hygiene, and erectile dysfunction, I haven't been able to maintain an erection since becoming sexually active. I hope this review is helpful to any one thinking about starting this medication.

Related Reading: erectile dysfunction

Comment from: Patsyj57, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 12

I had a head injury in a car accident. Shortly after that I started to have grand mal seizures. I started taking Dilantin at the age of ten. I am now 63 years old and haven't had a seizure in 35 years. Once I started taking my Dilantin faithfully. I haven't had a seizure. I can never miss a dose, or I start showing problems. I also cannot take the substitute for Dilantin. It does not work.

Related Reading: head injury | seizure

Comment from: antigeneric, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 03

I became a traumatic epileptic in 1993. The acccident and its related health issues were and have been fully covered by my auto insurance. While taking Dilantin I experienced side effects, but was as satisfied as one with my condition could expect. However, here's the rub. When my insurance company insisted that I begin being admin-istered only the generic form, PHENYTOIN SODIUM EXTENDED, I began having seizures on a regular basis. I am now in a three way struggle with my neu-rologist and the "money boys". Anyone else having trouble with 'generic' Dilantin???

Comment from: Jerry850, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 26

At age 62 I had a small seizure while reading the newspaper. It was my first. I was put on Neurontin but had another seizure 2 months later, so I was put on Dilantin. I went without seizures for 5 years, but I had a small one in 2007.

Related Reading: Neurontin

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 30

I started taking this medication because of seizure disorder for cycle accident in 1978.It was made manditory by the department of motor vehicles to recieve a drivers license. After taking this medication for 23 years council had informed the courts that this medication placed the public at large in danger and i should not operate a motor vehicle. How then are people with a seizure disorder around 2% of the population being fairly treated? How is having a disability now placing this portion of the population at risk? I was only trying to maintain a valid drivers license and stay in compliance with requirements imposed on myself. To provide for my family and there needs.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 10

My father had been taking this medicine for approx 2 months. He had a SEVERE allergic reaction that was caught on time. He is now full of internal blisters (esophagus, mouth, tonsils). He is in a great deal of pain and his skin is severely BURNED. He may need to get transferred to a burn hospital in San Antonio, TX. Has anyone ever reacted this way?

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.