Dilantin Infatabs User Reviews

Dilantin Infatabs - User Reviews

Dilantin Infatabs User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Dilantin Infatabs sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: T and J, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 17

This is the third medication my husband has tried. He had one seizure. He started on Keppra and had psychological side effects. Same thing with Topamax. He's only been on Dilantin for three days but it makes hime extremely tired, light headed, and his face tingles sometimes. He really wants to try to make this work but he's supposed to be at 300mg/day and can't even tolerate 100mg/day. He really wants to know how long other people have taken to acclimate to these drugs. It affects his work and this frustrates him.

Related Reading: Keppra | Topamax

Comment from: Luke, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 20

I began having seizures at 24 with no "reason." Dilantin has been my primary anti-seizure med for 9 years now and I only have seizures when I take the generic version or skip multiple doses. I also have problems sleeping and memory issues, I still can not drive, but have ahd 2 healthy sons and am living a "regular" life.

Comment from: scout6640, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 21

Can mental trauma be severe enough to cause a neurological change? I began taking Dilantin in 1989. I ve been taking it for almost 20 years. Back in 1989 after a stressful but injury free car accident I suffered a mild seizure. I was taken to the local ER and given Dilantin. I took it for 3 years and didn't have any more seizures. Then I went off it when I went to college and for about a year I was fine. I had two other seizures in college. They were both at times when I was severely run down and was not taking my meds regularly. After the last seizure in 2005 I realized my life style had to change and I had to take the medication religiously. Ever since I have been seizure free with a low dose of 400mg daily. For me side/fx are extra body hair(I never had any) and my gums bleed easily. I'm curious to know if prolonged Dilantin use has any link to low sex drive or short term memory loss or any other health risks?

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 14

I have taken Dilantin for 20 years. The only seizure that happened during that period came during a brief two week period when I decided I didn't need the drug. That occurred about 15 years ago.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 08

Still ajusting doseage up at this time.

Comment from: cool, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 16

25 year user. almost 100% effective.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 04

I've taken Dilantin for the better part of 13 yrs. Sometimes I switched to a generic, but I had breakthrough seizures so I switched back. I am generally satisfied with Dilantin, excpet for the memory issues and puffy gums. My doctor increased my dose from 300mg/day to 400mg/day and I noticed a big decline in energy level and memory retention. Body hair growth has been my biggest self-esteem issue with this drug.

Comment from: rec24, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 25

I have complex partial seizures in my left temporal lobe. Phenytoin(dilantin)has worked great for me! I take 300 mgs. a day. I never got the side effects and I've been seizure free for 5 years.

Comment from: stpete, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 28

Dilantin works great for me. But the generic will not. Nobody knows why.

Comment from: nanafaith, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 23

my husband has been on this medicine almost four years,he still continues to have grand-mal seizures,more often and longer.His museles and bones ache and his gums and teeth alway's hurt.

Comment from: lmh, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 24

I was taking Dilantin for many years, mostly because it was cheap, and pretty afective. I was tired all the time, and my gums did get pretty bad. My neurologist now tells me that he hasn't prescribed this for years, especially to women. Ive also been told its very bad for your bones. I also took the generic, and it wasn't as affective. I think this drug is alright for short term use, but after years of use, its not very good for you

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.