Dostinex User Reviews

Dostinex - User Reviews

Dostinex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Dostinex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 04

I had a large pituitary adenoma and Dostinex has lowered the prolactin level causing the tumor to totally shrink.

Related Reading: Dostinex | tumor

Comment from: OZZY, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 13

In 1995, to my dismay I was diagnosed with a prolactin producing brain tumor. What a Terrible shock the news was to me. My porlactin levels were in the 1200 to 1300 range, and to make matters worse I am a male and my levels should have been from 0 to 26. My doc started me on Parlodel 30 mg PO daily. I became VERY sick and extremely depressed, both of which are side effects to Parlodel. I changed endocrinologists and my new doc put me on Dostinex 0.5 mg PO three times a week. Just last month my porlactin level was 14. This drug has saved my life. My tumor is managed by taking this medication. I assume I will take Dostinex for my entire life or until the medical field comes up with a better way to manage my condition. The downside is the cost of the medication, even in generic form. I have held several different jobs and insurance can be tricky at best. But well worth any and all hassle I have had to put up with. In my best estimation this drug is a MIRACLE!! I am an RN and try to stay abrest to any new treatments available, but as of late I have had NO surgery to correct the tumor due to the size and location. Wishing you all the BEST!! Male RN in Wichita, KS

Related Reading: shock | Parlodel

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 05

High levels of prolactin had killed my sex drive and started effecting everything else. Needless to say my hormones were out of wack. My doctor prescribed Dostinex and what a change. My sex drive is back and my hormones are in balance. It's worked for me and I recommend you ask your doctor about it.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 12

In '95, I was diagnosed with high prolactin after seeing a doc because I was lactating though not menstrating. My endocrin doc said I could never have children and put me on Parlodel. I took one pill & became so ill I refused to take any more (vomiting and severe head pain). I went several years w/out menstrating. After I was married and wanted a second opinion on ability to have children, I had my prolactin levels tested again. They were high and diagnostics found a pituitary tumor. I asked my doc about the Parlodel but explained I did not like the side affects. He said that's all there was. I stuck it out and eventually had a baby girl. When I decided I wanted my 2nd child, I asked another Gynocologist (female) about a Parlodel alternative. She said of course, Dostinex. It has been quite a blessing. Shrunk my tumor to almost nothing and I actually take less than prescribed (due, in part to cost but also because it's difficult to remember to take only a few times a week). There is hope for babies on Dostinex. I also take the generic now and it works fine for me.

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: September 30

I've been trying to get pregant for 4 yrs. Then found out my prolactin was 90, also have a pit.tumor. Within 3 mths my prolactin is now 22! Very effective. Ovulated the first time on the 2nd mth. This is my 4th mth on the treatment and I look forward to my next MRI test. First 3 wks I was super tired and dizzy but it went away once my body adjusted. My doc told me this is the best drug for high prolactin at this time and other drugs have stronger side effects.

Comment from: Pansfolley, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 16

I was having milk production. Being a male, that was very wrong. They found that I had a pituitary tumor about 4 years ago. I was placed on the medication because I didn't want to do the operation that the doctor said I should have done. I can't say it was just the medication, but the tumor is now gone. It has completely vanished. My prolactin levels remain between 5 - 7 which for a male is just fine. It did make be a bit sick when I first started using it, but it was so worth it now.

Comment from: jescalex@aol.com, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor when I was 15 years old. Can you imagine what my parents thought when I was lactating at 15? My GYN prescribed Parlodel. I tried it for 2 years and it made me horribly ill the entire time, and it never lowered my prolactin level. Finally, I was referred to an endocrinologist. He put me on Dostinex. It is well worth the price. For a couple years I had no insurance and could not afford the medicine. After I got insurance again and began the dostinex again I could tell an amazing difference. When I was first diagnosed at 15 I had never had a period (a secret I managed to keep from my mother). I was told at that time that I would never have children. I put the hope out of my head then and decided I never wanted them since I couldn't have them. When I was 22, to my amazement, I became pregnant. My husband of course took all the credit for "curing" me. We now have a 4 year old son. After I had my soon, my tumor did get worse but I am still taking my Dostinex and my prolactin levels are normal, they used to be 1,300-1,400. Dostinex is they best thing that has ever happened to me. For all the women who are told you can't have children because of this, keep believing and keep trying! If it happened to me it can happen to you!! Good Luck!!