Dostinex User Reviews

Dostinex - User Reviews

Dostinex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Dostinex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: smashleypuff, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 04

For the overproduction of prolactin in my body this drug was amazing and after a couple of months my levels were practically normal. However, it caused my heartrate to speed up randomly and now I'm at the point where the cure is worse than the ailment, and before this, I was pretty healthy without any medical allergies or anything. Please be careful taking this.

Comment from: proscience, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 02

Does anybody know if the Dostinex is off the market?I was on it 2 years ago for 2 Months.My Prolactin didn't go away!I'm on Cabergoline0.5 mg/2/week still the numbers are high.Now I need to double the dose which I don't want.I gained weight,facial hair,less libido.Any body experiance hairloss with high prolactin?lets post all the symptoms that you are experiencing with this drug. .

Comment from: Edith, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 22

I take this medication because I have no choice. I fell tired all the time. There is some days that I just feel like lying down. I don't have the energy to do anything. I have headaches at less 3 days a week.I experience tenderness on my breast. I gained weight since I'm taking this drug and I take only .25mg.

Related Reading: breast

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 23

Dostinex is very expensive, It costs me 200.00 for 8 pills but this is the best medicine for this condition i've tried bromocriptine and it didnt work as good for me! I was amazed when the doctor told me my tumor had totally disappeared after being on dostinex for a while. I'm 31 and havent had kids yet i'm hoping i can have some one day with this disorder. My Endocronoligts told me there are some women that was able to and i just have to see a fertility endo doctor when i'm ready.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 07

I was diagnosed with prolactinoma around 1996. I have been taking dostinex for about 5 years now and my prolactin level went from 75 to 20. I did have some side effects when I first started taking it, nothing major. Now I have no side effects. My tumor has not grown at all. I do still lactate, but not as bad as before the dostinex.

Related Reading: prolactinoma

Comment from: Brunneria, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 07

Turns out I had microadenomas (mini tumours) in the pituitary gland pumping out prolactin for the past 25 years, with attendent weight gain, facial hair, lack of periods, etc. Once diagnosed (I will avoid the long story of patronising medical professionals who blamed every symptom on the fact that I ate too much), I was put on this drug. My prolactin levels have dropped from 5x that of a lactating woman to merely 2-3x and I feel MUCH better. I still get vague aches and pains, blood sugar fluctuations, and various other symptoms, but I have lost 3 stone, mestruate, and feel much more 'normal'. Have had no side effects, but my consultant has said that he won't up my dose from 0.25mg 2x/week, because that would drastically increase the risk of side effects. Have been on it 3 years now, no sign of the microadenomas shrinking, but am very grateful to have access to this drug.

Comment from: Navarch, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 13

I have had a cerebral operation (prolactinoma) at april 2007 (prolactine level is over 6500) and upto now i am still using dostinex 4x2 total 8 pcs 0.5mg, 4mg/week but prolactine level is still 269ng/ml (monomeric is 236, macro+big is 33) and it should be normally max 15. As you can imagine the level of decreasing is very very slow. I am using now max.dosage. But i think it is the best for this,and we have to use it unless there is better.

Comment from: Daffydrake, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 03

I'm atypical, a male with 5 cm macro adenoma. Went on Dostinex/cabergoline a year ago. Within 3 mos., tumor shrank to 1/3 original size (from hen's egg to bird's egg size!) Prolactin levels went from 12,840 to 75. Started at one 0.5mg tab, twice a week. Now I take 4 of them, twice a week. Huge, compared to many of you. Reactions were terrible last year, much more bearable now. Moods, memory problems have stabilized, etc. True, cab is EXPEN$IVE. Drugstore statement said with my health insurance, I "saved $2,041" on one bottle. Why so costly? Just Google the drug's name -- it's sold on the internet as a sex drug, for $30 a pill. If drugmakers can get that much from selling it as aphrodisiac, they don't care if YOU have to pay a bundle. My Pituitary Chat Friends support group talks about the drug (and much more) at pituitarychatfriends.multiply.com so stop by and visit. We had a great community on MSN boards, until they discontinued. Join us and meet dozens of friends who know exactly what you're going through. Admit it, even your family sometimes doesn't have a clue what it's like.