Duramorph User Reviews

Duramorph - User Reviews

Duramorph User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Duramorph sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 13

As a new medication available for C-sections (it was not widely used when I had my first child in 2006), no one informed me that Duramorph is simply ineffective in about 10% of patients - I learned this later on. Durapmorph is supposed to provide about 24 hours of pain relief after a C-section. For me, it only lasted baout an hour. After that, I felt like my insides were being apart. I could barely breathe from the pain, yet the doctors in the hospital were hesitant to give me more pain killers because they believed I should have been pain-free for at least another 23 hours. So a word of caution - if your doctor recommends Duramorph for a C-section, be prepared that you may not get the pain relief that you bargained for.

Related Reading: Duramorph

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a consult with the anesthesiologist one month before the birth of my first child. I discussed with him that morphine was completely ineffective for me in a previous surgery. At the time of the birth when, under great duress, it was determined that I needed a section, the anesthesiologist and my mother ( a labor/delivery nurse) both convinced me that duramorph would work because it used a different route and is sooo successful with everyone else. I relented and low and behold an hour and a half after surgery I was in severe pain. (24 hour relief my ass) I was then told I could not have another opioid because I had also been given 2 doses of versed in the OR. My recovery was excrutiating and it really marred my ability to care for my newborn. A note to healthcare providers...listen to your patients and don't insist on what is easiest for you and the rest of the staff!

Comment from: Happy New Mom, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 02

In 2005, I was a kidney donor and put on a morphine drip following surgery. It worked ok until I had to get up. Any movement caused lots of pain! This year (2011) I had a c-section and was given duramorph and everything was perfect. I did not have any pain in PACU. After returning to my room from PACU my pain was a 1. This was the highest my pain ever was througout my hospitalization. Later that night and each day following my pain was a 0. (Even after I got up and showered the next morning.) I did itch really bad but as someone stated above, I'd rather itch than be in pain. Duramorph was a perfect drup for me and my c-section!

Comment from: postmenapausalgma, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 23

Duramorph has made my recovery more difficult due to dizziness and nausea. I wish I didn't have it prior to surgery. I also fainted while receiving it. It's not worth the pain management it claims.

Related Reading: dizziness | pain management

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 17

I was extremely itchy all over for about 36 hours. The itching started almost immediately during my c-section. If you have ever had a csection you know they strap your arms down not allowing me to itch my own face. My husband tried to help but it was so intense that the nurse finally released my arms. Then that evening as the feeling came back in my legs I felt like I had the worse mosquito bites all over my body. To make matters worse I couldn't bend with out pain to itch my legs and feet. I couldn't sleep because the itching was so intense. The nurses kept giving me some drug as often as they could to help stop the itching but it didn't help much. I guess I don't remember how intense the pain was due to the itching!!

Related Reading: itching | sleep

Comment from: frankiesgirl, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 07

I had Duramorph prior to a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy with significant lysis of adhesions from a previous hysterectomy 16 years ago. I was told that I would experience approximately 24 hours of pain relief and nothing could be farther from the truth. I was told that I was writhing in pain even before I was conscious. I was not informed that Duramorph does not work for some people or that I would not be able to receive any other narcotic for pain. Morphine was ineffective for me with 2 other surgeries and I should have suspected that it might not work in a different form of delivery. They gave me Toradol IV which was also ineffective for pain relief and my peptic ulcer is back now. The anesthesiologist eventually did give me a PCA with a small dose of Dilaudid and I was told "You don't know how lucky you are to get this." Unfortunately Dilaudid is another drug that is not effective for pain control for me. To make matters worse the syringe in my PCA ran out and inspite of numerous pleas for pain relief my nurse did not show up for 3 and 1/2 hours and had the nerve to be nasty to me. I waited over another hour before I finally received an injection of Demerol and that gave me some pain relief. It would have worked better if my pain had not been so out of control for over 4 and 1/2 hours but that is another issue. When the on call anesthesiologist came in to see me the next morning he said "When Duramorph works it's wonderful. When it doesn't it is hell." Hell is what it was for me. I will never, ever agree to it again. This experience was a nightmare.

Related Reading: Toradol | peptic ulcer | Dilaudid