Effexor XR User Reviews

Effexor XR - User Reviews

Effexor XR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Effexor XR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Tender_heart1967, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 30

I have been on this for nearly 5 years now. Does anyone else notice any weight gain when taking this drug? I haven't changed eating habits that much really and my weight has ballooned since taking this med. Anyone relate?

Comment from: effexor VICTIM, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 30

THIS IS A HORRIBLE DRUG!!!!! HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!! DO NOT TAKE!!!I have watched my mother, who has never taken a recreational drug in her life struggle with this drug almost killing her (literally) from the withdrawl symptoms. She began taking it to treat her hot flashes and depression and built up to 225mg. All was well and wonderful, that is until she ran out of insurance, lost her company and could no longer afford the outrageously expensive drug. She stopped taking the drug and began to feel like she was shutting down, physically and mentally. I have struggled with opiate addiction for a few years now and i think there is no worse feeling than the withdrawl you experience when quitting. that was until i saw my mom go through this. she went to the hospital for what she was feeling (not knowing it was effexor withdrawl) and they told her that her body was literally shutting down. Once she started telling them the medication and dose she was on, they knew right away it was the effexor. since then she has only been able to ween down to 75mgs, due to the fact that YOU CAN LITERALLY DIE FROM THE WITHDRAWL OF THIS DRUG. She feels too awful when she tries to take any lower of a dose. She feels like she cant control any mental functions, she feels out of body, horrific nightmares, can't sleep right, complete physical drain, awful rages. And thats just the symptoms that wont actually kill you!!!Just take the time to research the class action lawsuit against Wyeth. And the thousands of blogs about the people going through the same things i have described here. Please just don't take this drug, i wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy.

Related Reading: hot flashes | nightmares | sleep

Comment from: Crocodile1, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 05

Effexor XR is not effective until you get to the 150mg threshold. It is FDA approved up to 225mg/day, but many doctors prescribe way higher than this with good results. I saw one post on here where the person said the drug didn't work and they were at 37.5mg/day. Yes, the drug will have virtually no effect on you at that low dosage!! I've been on it a year and I'm at 300mg/day. It is a wonderful medicine, but I don't like the sweating and the fact that it raises blood pressure. People, DO NOT trust your primary care or family doctor to know about these psychoactive drugs. They mean well, but a Psychiatrist is where you need to go for the guys who know everything about psychoactive drugs. Also, I am not a doctor, nor do I work for a drug company. I just wanted to throw some facts out there for people to use so that they can be helped.

Comment from: TUESDAYS, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 22

WHEN I FIRST STARTED EFFEXOR IT SEEMED TO HELP MY DEPRESSION BUT WHAT I DIDNT REALIZE IS THAT IT WAS ADDICTING AND TRYING TO COME OFF THIS DRUG HAS BEEN HORRIBLE I WOULD NOT WISH THIS ON ANYONE IT HAS GIVEN ME ALL THE SYMPTOMS I HEAR ON THESE COMMENTS LIKE THE SHOCK WAVES THROUGH YOURE HEAD AND EXTREMITIES NUMBNESS IN MY LEGS HEADACHES DIZZINESS AND YES TO THE ONE LADY MY SIGHT HAS GONE DOWNHILL SLOWLY I HAD BEEN TAKING IT FOR 2 YEARS NOT KNOWING HOW ADDICTING IT WAS OR ANY OF THE SIDE EFFECTS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GIVEN OUT IN PILL BOOK IT HAS BEEN SO SCARY FOR ME I HAVE BEEN IN OUT OF ER THIS MONTH FEB 08 BECAUSE I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS THE WITHDRAWELS OF THIS DRUG EFFEXXOR I CANT BELIEVE THEY DONT TELL YOU THIS SHOCK PAINS ALL OVER STOPPED IT COLD TURKEY 3 WEEKS AGO AND IT HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE PLEASE IM TELLING EVERYONE DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION ITS OKAY WHEN YOU FIRST TAKE IT BUT IF YOU WANT OFF IT ITS REALLY HARD THE WORST ADDICTION AND I AM A NURSE I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ADDICTION OF ANYKIND I CANT BELIEVE I WASNT INFORMED MORE ABOUT THIS DRUG IT IS ONE SCARRY PILL I WAS TAKING 300 MG A DAY WOW I HAVE BEEN OFF OF IT FOR 3 WEEKS AND IT IS STILL DRIVING ME CRAZY I HAD LOTS RATHER BE DERPRESSED THEN COME OFF THIS MEDICATION PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL tuesdays10@yahoo.com I HOPE THIS DOESNT HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE GOOD LUCK TERESA

Related Reading: SHOCK | DIZZINESS

Comment from: MARCO NYC, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 08

STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG.WHEN IT STOPPED WORKING FOR ME DID NOT KNOW UNTILL MY FAMILY CONTACTED MY DR.I WAS ON 250 MGS & WENT THROUGH 5 MONTHS OF WITHDRAWL HELL.I WAS A MONSTER, AND DID NOT REALIZE I WAS GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWL ALSO WHEN DRUG STOPPED WORKING FOR ME, FOR WHICH I HAD NO CLUE.PEOPLE KEPT TELLING ME I WAS A DIFFERENT PERSON,BUT I DID NOT SEE IT UNTILL FAMILY INTERVENTION. I HAVE SINCE TALKED TO OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAD SAME EXPIERIENCE..........STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG

Comment from: Mel75, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 19

Started taking effexor xr 8 years ago. The start-up side effects weren't bad, a little weight loss, night sweats, loss of sexual desire. THe kicker is coming off this medicine. Wish I had been warned of the withdrawls. Nausea, whirling, forgetfullness, exhaustion, moodiness, crying, blurry vision, dizziness, the list goes on. A friend told me when I decided to stop taking the medicine that it would be hell - wish the doctor had told me that when I started taking it. They got me - either I pay the extreme monthly cost (since there is no generic and I have no rx insurance any longer) or I suffer the withdrawls. If you plan on taking this drug - get informed first.

Related Reading: night sweats | sexual