Effexor XR User Reviews

Effexor XR - User Reviews

Effexor XR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Effexor XR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: J, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 15

Horrible, horrible side effects if you decide to come off it. I've been on it aprox 6 yrs. Now coming off of it. I felt for the last several yrs I was living in a fog, just realized the last yr it was the effexor xr. I couldn't concentrate, some days couldn't get the words out I wanted to say and tired most of the time. Best way to describe it would be living in a numb state...not depressed, but not anything, just living live a zombie. I've been reducing dosage for the last two mths. Usually very, very passive, but first day on reduced (from 75 to 37) I was so angry I thru a bottle and put a hole in the wall. My 2nd day off it completly(today) is a nightmare! Now very ANGRY & Mean! Yelled at my elderly mom yesterday and mad at everything. Today, I'm mad one second,crying the next. Minor brain zaps,minor because I withdrew slowly, was down to aprox 15 mg when I stopped completly. For anyone contemplating taking this, PLEASE research it in detail. If you do an internet search you will see that I am one of many going thru the hell of withdrawals on this awful medicine. Dr's DO NOT tell you what this is like. I wouldn't wish this feeling on anyone...well maybe the CEO of the drug company that makes this horrible stuff!

Comment from: Happy, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 03

I was constantly filled with anxiety. I cried over everything. No one said the "right" thing; I was hurt by everyone's words or actions. I was tired and thought I would die if put in a new situation or attend an event alone. Panic would consume me. After a few days on this medication, I felt like "me" again! A friend asked what I was doing, I looked 10 yrs younger!

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 11

Have been taking 225 mg of Effexor XR daily for 18 months. Have had many of the same side effects others mentioned, but the one bothering me most (and the one least mentioned by others) is memory loss! Words are completely lost to me at times...I know the word I want to use is somewhere in my brain, but can't come up with it. I mix up words, forget names, can't remember where I put things. Sense of time also seems "off". Something that happened yesterday can feel like years ago and vice versa. More tired now than ever. I could sleep most of the day. In general my mood is much improved, but sometimes I feel like I'm loosing my mind. My husband says I've improved incredibly on Effexor, so I guess I'm staying on it. I'd like to think there's something better out there, but I'm afraid of withdrawing from Effexor. Have been on Prozac and Paxil over the years before switching to Effexor.

Related Reading: Prozac | Paxil

Comment from: Morgan, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 11

Same as someone below said. Zero sex drive and big weight gain. Was on 150 mg and it took the edge off. Weaned off them and went through the normal withdrawal symptoms, brain shivers, random crying fits, and irritation. Lasted about two weeks but I am fine and drug free now. Withdrawal isn't the nightmare everyone advertises it as. Just do it slowly and under a doctor's supervision.

Comment from: browneyez0025, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 31

Let me start by saying that in the begining this medicine was great, though it was alwayIs being upped.I lost weight I loved that part. but then I started having what was thought to be panic attacks. after severl months of these attacks I tried to stop taking this medicine. I got very I'll vomiting Dizziness, headachs, I could not see or move, without getting sick. I called the drug co. myself and told them what was going on, I asked how long these symptoms would last, they did not know. after many trips to the DR. and hospitals I was told that my so called panic attacks wern't panic they were mini siezures. any way I stayed off the meds and it was pure Hell for about 2 or 3 months. one thing that did help ease the dizziness ,vomiting ect... was the hospital gave me a script for motion sickness, I don't remember the name but you can ask your DR. I don't know what it feels like to be an addict of heroine but I watched someone very close to me come off of it and in my opinion effexor is an addiction just as bad, the only difference is your not aware of what your your about to put yourself through. I 'm off about 3 years now, I have my up and downs and during my downs I remember what effexor did to me and I continue Drug free. I wish you all well and I pray this gives you enough info for you to say no to effexor.

Related Reading: panic attacks | motion sickness

Comment from: d.pabon@comcast.net, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 02

DO NOT GO ON THIS MEDICATION!!! I was working alot, running two businesses. I felt I was a strong person, so I was concerned about the mental and physical effects I was experiencing. I went to a Dr., and was told I needed this pill, it would help. The Dr.told me he could not help me if I did not start this medication. Had I know what would happen when tring to get off, I would have never started. This will be my third time trying to stop taking this "non-addictive" medication. Believe me, this IS ADDICTIVE, and the FDA should make the Wyth Company make people aware of this before they become an addict. The side effects of withdrawl are really, really bad.