Effexor User Reviews

Effexor - User Reviews

Effexor User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Effexor sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: petalumarealtor, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 30

I was suffering from clinical depression that started when I was being treated for HEP C. About 8 months into the treatment I would awaken everyday with feelings of hopelessness and a wish to simply not exist. The doctors said I needed to see a psychiatrist and get treatment for this severe depression. I tried several anti-depressants including Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft with no success. I finally tried Effexor and it worked! I lost the feelings of hopelessness, I found I was able to smile, I regained some energy and generally felt better. At the end of the HEP C treatment I stopped the Effexor treatment also but after a couple of months the depression returned and was quite disabling. I ended up taking Effexor again and the depression subsided. I have been taking Effexor in doses of 150 mg to 225 mg for the past 5 years and have been able to return to work, enjoy my family and life in general. If I stop taking the Effexor I find myself slipping back into depression after just a few days. I am taking the time to write this to provide a note of encouragement to people who have not found a way out of their depression. As I said, I had to try several before I found something that worked but I kept trying. I also use diet and exercise and therapy and prayer and meditation. I need them all to stay in the light. I still have days when I awaken with my head in a negative space but with the help of the medicine, doctors and prayer and helping other people worse off than I am I find life is usually pretty good and often downright great!

Related Reading: depression | Prozac | Paxil

Comment from: on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 15

WARNING!!! What ever you do Do not take Effexor without reading the effects you will have when you want to come off it...#1 The effects you will live with when coming off this drug are not worth it....I weaned off the best way possible going from 150mg to 107 to 75 and finally to 37.5 over a couple months and still had to live with the worst side effects / withdraw symptoms you could imagine for months!! You dont get warnings on this before taking this drug. Look/google it up and read the horror stories before you decide to take this drug... You will be sooooo sick no matter what when you try to get off this drug.....tons of people can not get off because of how bad the withdrawl is. You just can not function...You are to ill to move, you get so dizzy you vomit, you get weird brain zapping feelings, you cant concentrate, I was afraid to drive it was so bad and so on... #2 Now being off this drug and the side effects slowing I feel so alive, motivated, happy,I can finally poop like normal and sex !! Being on Effexor you might as well forget sex... I forgot how fun it was (lol). I had no idea what this drug did to me, looking back just a month later and how I feel now,,,,Was I a walking zombie?...I dont know but Im so happy to be off it....I would not recommend Effexor to anyone!!! Personally I will stick to prozac...... Good luck to all....

Related Reading: Effexor

Comment from: cosmobaby, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 05

i got effexor bout 2 years ago for anxiety/depression/angry issues after trying celexa (which did nothing for me after taking it for 3 months...the doc. put me on 75mg. at first and it seemed to work for me then last april i was put on 150mg. which has been good for my symptoms BUT i have had times where i forgot to pick up my refill for a day or didnt have the money to get it for a weekend, the only way i can describe the withdrawals from this medicine is horrible!!! there was zapping in my brain, jitters non-stop, sweats, angry, sadness, and worst of all i thought i was completely CRAZY, like i needed to be in a mental institue. i was blaming myself for this horrible side effects until recently i discovered almost everyone that has taking this med. has had the same experience. so from my personal opinion, if i were u, i WOULD NOT take this medicine. you can find some alternative for it. i would not wish that experience on my worst enemy...i am going to wean myself off asap and never ever take something like this again. i hope the best for all of u who read this and hope i can keep atleast one person from making the same mistake i did. good luck, God bless

Related Reading: anxiety | celexa

Comment from: persephone, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 04

Basically, this drug has helped change my life. I've had problems with recurring major depressive disorder for as long as I can remember, but it took one really bad episode in my adulthood to make me consider taking an antidepressant. I have to say, taking the meds in combination with talk therapy has improved the quality of my life beyond measure. Most of the complaints people have here are about weight gain, decreased libido and withdrawal effects. My weight gain started before taking Effexor, so I can't blame it on that - I know it was due to a lifestyle change. I had decreased libido for about 6 months, but then it returned back to normal. And FYI - you're going to have withdrawal effects when you stop taking any antidepressant. The key is to taper off slooooooowly and with the supervision of your doctor. Not everyone needs to take Effexor (or any antidepressant) forever, but for me - as long as it keeps me in remission, I'm a happy camper.

Comment from: 25 Year Old's Mom, 45-54 Published: December 18

Unfortunately, my 25 year-old son's depression worsened and he thought he could correct it by taking a second pill. This unfortunately led him to commit suicide December 5, 2007. Please, please be careful and read the information provided.

Related Reading: suicide