Efudex User Reviews

Efudex - User Reviews

Efudex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Efudex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Grandpa, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 15

This is my 2nd stint with Efudex. And my 1st time on my face, temples and cheek areas. High inflamation, itching and sensitivity-relieved only by warm towel applications and followed by thin film of petroleum jelly. Difficulty having sound sleep. Currently in 3rd week of application.

Related Reading: itching | sleep

Comment from: Sid, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 23

This is my second time using, primarily on my face. Efudex is easy to use but the pain both times has been intense, especially this second time. Itching and burning especially on the bridge of my nose and to a lesser extent at the corners. Nothing seems to lessen this pain for me except knowing it won't last forever.

Published: August 22

This is my second 3-week stint on Efudex, first time was about 10 years ago. Using it on face and chest area. As expected, it caused inflammation and weeping of the cancerous areas, but after about 2 weeks post-treatment, fresh skin emerged with no scarring or discoloration. Hopefully my derm will give me the all-clear; appt is next week.

Comment from: millernpt, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 20

My doctor said I would get small scabs after 1 week and then they would fall off. No problem. Easy. She didn't say I would have terrible pain, itchy skin (with a felling like I wanted to rip it off!), and it's day 17 and I fell horrible! I look horrible, and the scabs still haven;t formed, let alone fallen off. I didn't have any noticeable skin cancer. I was just a person who wnet in the sun as a kid and she suggested a do this as a preventative measure. I suppose if you have a skin cancer diagnosis, the terrible pain would be worth it. But, as a preventative measure...NEVER! Searching the internet, which I should have done beforehand, I see this could last 2 months!!!! Yikes! It is VERY PAINFUL!

Related Reading: skin cancer | cancer

Comment from: Fluorouracil, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 01

Have been on treatment for arms 1 month - very little pain and working well. On face - in third week of treatment and not sure I can continue. The pain and burning is almost too much. Everyday gets worse, but don't want to stop the healing. Feels like there are millions of ants crawling and biting my skin. Have not really slept in 4 days and thats bad also. Still trying to hang in there.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 10

I have used this two previous times on my face on a small spot and had no trouble except I had to stop before three weeks because of the inflammation. This time I'm using it on my chest in a larger area and have had a big reaction, having oozing spots in less than two weeks, so stopped using as the doctor said to do so. Very red and painful. I'm now using an antibiotic cream to help with the healing. I still have some area to do but will wait until this has healed. Was very satisfied with results on my face. Don't know about the chest yet.

Comment from: breezy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 24

It's hard to know when you are too close to your eyes. I have red burning skin around my eyes and in the creases beside my nose. How do you know if it's doing the right thing, or if it's an alergic reacion? It hurts!

Comment from: garfield, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 10

Applied 2x day for 4 weeks to left arm, then took 2 weeks off before using 2x day on right arm. I was to supposed to also use on back (next), but will wait until winter to do that. First week--thought this was no big deal; then it started showing. Tightness started hurting that week. Third week was more painful and 4th week was bad enough my Dr. said I'd had a "good" (thorough) reaction and let me quit a few days early. Took two weeks of healing to get my nerve up for next arm. Looked less intense than my driving arm, but seemed to hurt more and heal more slowly. Wasn't as solid but seemed to be deeper. First arm is looking really good, and despite the pain I'd certainly do it over--not nearly as messy as the nitrogen burning and the end result is worth the pain. Dr. gave me some steroid cream to use at the end of the second arm and that really helped. It really does affect only the bad cells, because I was very thorough and the underside of my arms had almost no bad cells, but upper arms by shoulder were almost solid (and I was not avid "sun worshipper"). This has made me a walking advertisement for sunscreen.

Related Reading: sunscreen