Elavil User Reviews

Elavil - User Reviews

Elavil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Elavil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: emmie, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 21

After taking Elavil my pain subsided and I was able to function much more effectively. Muscles pains were relieved.

Related Reading: Elavil

Comment from: Professional person, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 27

I was prescibed 10 mg dosage at 8pm to help with sleeplessness, irritable bowel syndrome, and back and neck pain. This has been a miracle drug for me! The cost is so much cheaper than the newer drugs that did not help. I would recommend trying this drug. The first few nights I was a little tired the next day, but now I feel wonderful. I can't believe it worked because I was very skeptical.

Related Reading: irritable bowel syndrome | neck pain

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 11

Elavil is an old school antidepressant that is now considered a "dirty drug" because of its undesired side effects. One of the unintended side effects is to relax the skeletal muscle tissue. I use elavil off label to treat my TMJ. Even with the best night/brux guard I still grind my teeth at night unless I use elavil. I take 25mg two hours prior to bedtime and sleep like a baby. There is a weeklong haze of grogginess I have to overcome when starting elavil. After that I'm fine. I never had to increase the dosage over a two year period. TMJ is worsened by stress. I go off and back on elavil from time to time depending on my stress level. I don't seem to have any problem getting off of it quickly, but I understand some do. Bottom line is I find the benefits of elavil outweigh the minor side effects for me.

Related Reading: sleep | stress

Comment from: gijane1976, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 28

I was taking Elavil for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which wouldN't allow me to get "restful" sleep. Anyone with Fibromyalgia or constant pain can attribute how frustrating it is when you get up after a night of @ least 8 hrs of sleep& feel more tired than when you went to sleep. I took Elavil 4 about a year and GAINED a whopping 65lbs. The pill worked great & I woke up after taking it even with only 4 hrs of sleep & felt like I slept 10. I dreamed for the 1st time in quite some time, so I know it stimulated stage 3 & 4 sleep which I was not getting any or a very tiny amount of. I was prescribed this medication by a psych provider who had the same conditions and had previously had the same problem getting the "rest", but started getting it after she was prescribed it by one of her own drs. She advised me that it was originally used as an anti-depressant, but not prescribed near as much because people would be zonked on it or experience lots of daytime sleepiness. That provider left about 3 months later and I kept complaining that I was gaining weight to all my drs until one day my pain mgt dr said, "Get off the Elavil, I see numerous pts balloon up while on it"! I must say though I was extremely hesitant about it because of its effectiveness, but am happy to report that now after being off of it about 11 weeks now I have dropped 40lbs and from size 20 something to 12's almost being too big now. I am not exercising more, eating less, or doing anything different than before EXCEPT NOT TAKING ELAVIL. I have had a tough road and am still trying to find a good medication that had the effectiveness or even a combo that would work as good. I have back problems, feet problems, knee issues, etc and I would go back on Elavil, BUT 1 LB. OF WEIGHT ON YOUR BODY CAN = 4 LBS OF STRESS ON ANYTHING BELOW THAT WEIGHT & THAT'S NOT TO MENTION KILLING YOUR SELF-ESTEEM BECAUSE YOU'RE FAT. I have witnessed the same w/ others taking Elavil, but cannot speak 4 them here.

Comment from: Michele, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been using 25mg at bedtime for 12 years now.. It has changed my life. I had IBS since a child and think the IBS was all anxiety related from the start. From the IBS (I thought) I then had panic attacks everytime I would go some where, thinking I was going to have the IBS attacks and ofcourse by thinking it, it did happen.. I was afraid to travel far.. Now I can sleep well, I can go anywhere, even fly, Almost never have an IBS attack.. Feel it has made my life 100% better. It did take a while to get use to the sedation left over in the morning, I did have weird dreams in the beginning, and I cannot go with out the drug. Felt like I needed rehab when I tried to stop it.. I decided to stay on it I guess forever because I do not want to feel like I was before Elavil.. I would definately say it has changed my life for the better!!!!!

Related Reading: anxiety | panic attacks