Elavil User Reviews

Elavil - User Reviews

Elavil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Elavil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 01

Have taken 10 mg each evening for Fibromyalgia for one year now. Amazing good results. Causes consitpation so I eat a couple of dried apricots each day and drink lots of water.

Comment from: bram44, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 24

I checked myself in to an inpatient detox program in Aug 2009 for alcohol, cocaine, vicodin. After my release from the hospital my Psychiatrist would not refill my rx for xanax, which I had taken and surprisingly did NOT abuse since I was 16. Instead I was put on Seroquel, Seroquel XR, Nuerontin, Visteral, Cymbalta and eventually Elavil. The Elavil was prescribed for it's sedative effects w/o the addictiveness of Benzo's. The sedation took place immediately. So did the crazy sugar cravings, ravenous & insatiable hunger. Within 6 weeks I gained 20 lbs. Unacceptable. I took myself off of everything 1 week ago and I have dropped 10.5 lbs in that short amount of time. I truly blame the Elavil for the rapid weight gain, but I'm sure when cocktailed with the other prescriptions, the gain was amplified. Yes, I am having some withdrawl symptoms--nausea, chills, disrupted sleep, etc. BUT I am also beginning to feel like a real person again and my libido has returned with gusto; I had truly forgotten the joys of physical pleasure. In a nutshell, I figure if I paid to get myself off my recreational drugs of choice, I don't need to pay a doctor to get me hooked on "safe" prescriptions--especially ones that make me fat!

Related Reading: cocaine | vicodin | xanax

Comment from: bird_dog, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 19

Before taking Elavil I would almost always wake in the morning with a headache. Since taking one 10mg pill before bed, I have been sleeping deeper and no longer wake up with a headache. The only side affects I had was dry mouth and and feeling a little groggy in the morning, but they went away in time. The side affects were much easier to tolerate than the headaches.

Related Reading: headache | dry mouth

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 07

To treat insomnia...very effective, solid rem sleep. Downside: difficult to fully awaken for about 1 hr. Would have no trouble returning to sleep even though I have slept for 8-10 hrs.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: lilybean, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 07

Ive had problems sleeping for years and finally couldnt take it anymore because of my early morning classes. For the first couple of weeks I was groggy (almost felt like being hung over) but after that I was fine. I noticed that I have to sleep at least eight hours or I'm sleepy for a few hours after waking. It helps to calm my thoughts before bedtime,before it was like my brain had no off switch. The only strange thing I've noticed is that my dreams are a bit odd. Including dreaming about people I havent seen or thought of in years. Also I have a lot more nightmares which isnt that bothersome....I'm just glad I can fall asleep and stay that way!

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 23

Have been taking for 2 weeks now for IBS and stress related stomach problems. Only taking 10mg at night before bed and I not only sleep like a baby, but has helped me with my intestinal problems as well.

Comment from: Cindy , 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been taking this medication for pain for about 7 months. If you can get past the initial side effects, the drug works great. It has given me my life back. I dont know what I would have dont without it.

Comment from: jiggy98, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 23

I must have tried 12 different sleep meds ambien, lunesta, xanax, melatonin, nothing worked.Have had insomnia for 12 years this drug works!I'm getting 7-9 hours sleep a night. only side effect is dry mouth.Doctors wanted me to wear c.p.a.p.Thank god for elavil. It changed my life.

Related Reading: ambien | lunesta