Elavil User Reviews

Elavil - User Reviews

Elavil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Elavil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: ginger, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: June 28

I have had difficulty falling and staying asleep for several years. Also getting up several times to urinate. My doc suggested using elavil,and I immediately stated "I don't want to use an antidepressant". He reassured me, and I tried it, and really grateful for it because my sleep is soooo much better, and I feel better as a result of good sleep. I wish I did not have to use any medication for sleep, but this is the greatest help for me now. My job can be stressful and very busy, and trying to function on little sleep was just aweful on some days. Now I don't have that problem.

Comment from: abby, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 27

Well I think it is great. I take it at night and sleep great. It helps with my depression and gives me alot of energy I didnt have before because I sleep so well. I love it.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: angie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 22

My doctor prescribed this drug to help my sleeplessness during a streesful period. It worked well for this. I am on only 10mg and am now trying to cut back and eventually stop taking it, but everytime I cut back, even a small amount (eliminate 1/4 dose every other day) I experience nausea, dizziness, severe chills, grogginess and general aches and pains, to such a degree that I am unable to work and have to go to bed. I will *never* take this drug again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: bluenigma33, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 09

Have been taking 50 mg at night for insomnia due to Fibromyalgia pain for 5 years. Works very well for getting a full 8 hours sleep. I wake up without being groggy. I did put on about 35 lbs which I can't seem to lose. But being able to sleep through the misserable pain I had in my legs is worth the extra weight. I can't imagine going back to my life without this drug. It helped with the chronic fatigue from having Fibromyalgia and the nerve pain in my legs. It is a wonder drug for me.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Krystal, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 09

I was given this medication for IBS and to help me sleep. I have been taking 10mg at bedtime and it is working for me. I also had problems with panic attacks due to my IBS problems, and Elavil has also helped in that area.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had insomnia since I was very young. OTC sleeping pills were too strong, but my dr. prescribed 25 mgs. I love love love this drug. I can get through the night now and get solid sleep. As with any sleeping pill, taken with alcohol the effects are much stronger.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 06

I was prescribed this for Fibromyalgia pain. While it worked for the pain, I experienced every side effect imaginable. I was always tired, dizzy, gained weight, more depressed, at times suicidal, etc. My DR said this is a very old drug, developed in the 60s, that he refuses to prescribe because of the side effects. I was on it for 10 months and have just finished weaning off of it and switching to Cymbalta (He has only had one patient complain of side effects on Cymbalta, and even then only drowsiness). I do have a few residual side effects, but they are lessening day by day. I've also noticed a significant decrease in anxiety and panic attacks since quitting the medication. I would suggest anyone prescribed Elavil take a long hard look at the side effects first (or even after taking it for a time) and look for a newer, alternative.

Related Reading: Cymbalta

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 06

I take this medicine for insomnia and anxiety, and it's been lovely. I've been sleeping much better, although over time it seems my body gets used to the dosage, and then I need a higher one to help me sleep again. Overall, very effective, although if you don't take it for a period of time it can cause some nasty side effects like increased migraine, dizziness, and fever-like symptoms.

Related Reading: migraine | fever