Elmiron User Reviews

Elmiron - User Reviews

Elmiron User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Elmiron sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: fzwduck, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 01

i have been taking this medicine for one year. after going to my primary dr then a gi dr then finally my gyno made a correct diagnosis and referred my to a urologist it was almost two years of pain. now all pain with intercorse is gone. i still have the frequent urge to urinate but if i have to hold it i don't hurt as bad (i found drinking mostly water helps...i drink about 60-75oz a day! the urine is less acidic that way) i take this med two pills twice a day the second dose accompanied by elavil. i find this helps me sleep through the night. although i still have flare ups they last no longer than a week or two with several months of relief in between. i do loose hair on a regular basis but not enough to make me look bald. before if you just touched my stomach below my belly button i would freak out, same if my pants were too tight i just couldn't bear it but now i have no sensitivity to touch. one thing i havn't heard mentioned is that this is linked to allergies. my urologist says that over 90% of people who have this ic have allergies too. they beieve that this is a severe allergic reaction to something in your environment. has any one else heard this??? so in addition to the elmiron and the elavil i also take an allergy pill. the biggest downfall of this medicine is that it costs sooooo much and the manufacture does not offer much help. it was 130.00 on my dads prescription plan, on mine it is 67.00(who says wal-mart ins sucks?!) even though it is expensive its worth it and i am reminded of that every time i get a flare up. i do find that the only thing that i have to eliminate from my diet is caffene, spicy foods are fine in moderation other than that...no diet changes....

Related Reading: elavil | sleep | elmiron

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 31

I have been taking Elmiron since August of this year. I have noticed problems with dry eyes and have had to start taking Restasis for that problem. I wish they would make a generic available for Elmiron because it is so expensive. I have also added an over the counter product to my treatment of IC and it's called Prelief. If you take at least two pills before each meal it really seems to help with preventing the symptoms of IC. (My urologist has approved the Prelief.) Good luck to everyone out there in dealing with your IC. Unless you have this problem, you can not understand the pain and life changes that come with this disease.

Related Reading: dry eyes | Restasis

Comment from: cjperry9, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 25

I have been on Elmiron for interstitial cystitis for over three years. My pain was so bad I could hardly walk. Two weeks after starting the medication I noticed a reduction in the pain and inflammation and in three months I was pain free. I have weaned myself down to one pill a day. I tried to stop it but the pain returned after three weeks. I am so happy with the results of Elmiron. I never had any side effects and I can eat and drink anything I want. It gave me my life back. I just wonder if I will have to take this medication the rest of my life.

Related Reading: interstitial cystitis

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had pain in bladder for years. I went to one OBYGEN who did a bladder tack thinking this was my problem...but I continued to have pain I have had test for bladder cancer. That was negative. All of the doctors I went to said I had protein in my urine and treated it with antibiotics...finally I found a doctor who knew what test to do and this medicine is wonderful. I only take two pills a day, (he prescribed three) but my insurance will not cover it since they see it as a pre-existing condition. But with just the two pills a day I am still feeling 100% better. The only side effect I have noticed is the easy bruising.

Related Reading: bladder cancer

Comment from: thertdr, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 05

Until this was prescribed I truly felt like death could be welcomed. It took about 3 months to start working, 21 months on it now, with mild flareups. No side effects to report.

Comment from: skye, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 08

I have been on Elmiron for 10 years. It took almost a year to become really effective so don't give up. I am now mostly pain free and can go for hours between urinating. The only side effect I have noticed is the hair loss and this has improved with time. I have other auto-immune problems, too, including endometriosis, allergies, IBS, arthritis, fibromyalgia, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome and rosacea.

Related Reading: hair loss | endometriosis | arthritis