Elmiron User Reviews

Elmiron - User Reviews

Elmiron User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Elmiron sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: GrammyJean, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 18

I had pelvic, bladder & vaginal pain for about 3 years. It began about a month after my Hystorectomy. Many different doctors didn't know why I was having so much pain and one told me " Your "exagerating" and there is no way you have that much pain". Of course I walked out of that office in a hurry. Finally I found a Urogynocologist who listened. I started treatment with the "Sling" with no help what so ever. In March I started on the Elmiron, I was sceptical because it could take up to 6 months to really work. BUT to my suprise in less than 2 months I started having much less urgency. still had the pain, frequency & leaks. He added Detrol La, that took away all but the Pain! the first of June he added Amitriptaleen 25 mg. OMG!! The pain is nearly gone. Only when I'm on my feet many hours do I get discomfort! These 3 drugs work together like a team along with a strict diet of no acid! I still have some pain with sex but its tolerable. I hope in time this too will lessen. Side effects: Tiredness, constipation & weight gain, all things I can live with as long as theres NO PAIN! WOO HOO!!

Related Reading: vaginal pain | Detrol La | constipation

Comment from: Pearl, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been on Elmiron for 2 years to help my I.C. symptoms. Started on 4 pills/day. After 1 year, I went off of it for a month and my symptoms returned. Now back on medication, but down to 1 pill/day. Aside from initial stomach pain, it is pretty well tolerated. I am so much happier on Elmiron. It has helped my symptoms tremendously! I would definitely recommend it for I.C. patients.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 14

Took Elmiron for Interstitial Cystitus orally and have weaned myself taking this drug. Elmiron took 2-3 months before it became effective, abdominal swelling went down, but hair-loss increased,...have started a new process with my Urologist. She opens the capsules, mixes the ingredients with a solution and pours the Elmiron directly into my bladder by catheter. I love these treatments, they work faster, easier and better.

Comment from: Lytha, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed w/ IC 5 years ago. This is my second time taking Elmiron. The first time it worked wonders, of course you must follow the diet as well. After having my son, I started having major flare ups so I started on it again, hasn't worked as well this time have been on it for 5 months. But I haven't been as strict w/ the diet either. My advise to others w/ IC is don't give up, it's hard to have a "normal" life, expecially sex, but it can be done. You need to have a lot of communication w/ your partner.

Comment from: dpark, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 06

I have suffered with bladder problems all my life so for the longest I just thought I had another bladder infection. Then the pain started to get worse so I went to my ob/gyn & ended up having a hysterectomy. That was a really hard recovey because I still hurt so bad. My husband was getting really frustrated with me because I always complained about the pain. It got to where I was having spasms and the pain was so bad I would ball up in the fetal position. A new uroligist came in to town and as soon as I told him my symptoms, he knew, did a cystoscopy and the lining in my bladder looked terrible. I started Elmiron and it took a good 4mos to get some relief, after 8mos much better and now a year and a half and I'm pain free. I also have other auto-ammune disorders, hashimoto's thyroditis & fibramyalga. I would recommend Elmiron to anyone diagnosed with IC.

Related Reading: bladder infection

Comment from: justcarol, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been taking this drug for nearly 10 years now. I suffered from Interstial Cystitis for years but was never diagnosed correctly. I had test after test and seemed to stay on antibiotics. I was on the verge of sucide due to the pain and helplessness I felt. I did not want to go on living like that. My PC finally told me about an OB/GYN who specialized in IC. I started out with bladder cocktail instillations and the helped but when he put me on Elmiron I was amazed. I took about 3 months for it to start working, but once it did, my pain was gone. Totally gone. I am lucky because my Insurance covers this drug. I have been off of it for about a month now due to surgery and I am back to miserable now. I can start back again in 4 days and I will be so glad. I wish that all of my fellow IC sufferers could have the same results I have with Elmiron. It saved my life.

Comment from: Ginger Snap, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 28

I have been using Elmiron for 1 1/2 years. It took time to start being effective (4 months) and now after all this time, I am in pain again. Not as sever yet but for it to come back I am sure the full pain will return. The doctors do not want to prescribe anything else for pain because this is suppose to take care of it. What is wrong with doctors today? We know our bodies better than anyone. I am not a junkie, and don't even take asprin unless I really nead it. Maybe I need to find a doctor who has had IC for awhile. I would recommend Elmiron to everyone who has IC, however don't count on it forever.