Emsam User Reviews

Emsam - User Reviews

Emsam User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Emsam sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: intercity@aol.com, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 26

Emsam has worked where all other antidepressents have failed - 9mg. I've been down the whole list. One side effect has been an allergic reaction at the point of application. Local itching and redness under the patch and if left for the prescribed 24 hour period - blistering and skin seperation. I need the medication so I do the following. I move the patch to a new location - tape it down with paper tape - every six hours and then only use it twelve hours a day. Selegiline has a half life of three hours so I'm able to sleep eight of the twelve hours I'm not useing the patch. A patch will last me two days. Even then I have minor skin damage that takes several weeks to heal. But I have lots of skin area and just keep moving it around then I can come back and reuse a previously used area. The Emsam/Selegiline medication has saved my life. I would like to hear from others that might have experienced the same reaction.

Related Reading: Emsam | itching | sleep

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 24

I have had major depression all my life, and been on every drug. EMSAM has alleviated a great deal of the depression--and that is truly amazing. My energy level is way up from previously. I responded very quickly to 6mg. I have not had any skin irritation at the patch site. I alternate arms each day. I have also lost weight! I'm pleased that I don't have to be too concerned about the dietary restriction at 6mg. I have however developed trouble sleeping and started taking Ambien. The worst problem is a terrible restlessness that even yoga, exercise and meditation won't relieve. I even have stress rashes on the backs of my hands. I'm hoping to be able to manage this because the anti-depressive response has been so remarkable--when so little else has helped.

Related Reading: depression | Ambien | stress

Comment from: kimmiebrat@hotmail.com, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 21

This has made life much more content, i've tried everything & this is the only one that has helped me. i don't stay in bed and cry all day anymore. They say you shouldnt cut the patch but i have to in order to find just the right dose for me & it seems to be ok. I go through bouts of insomnia, constipation, slight confusion or anxiety, & trouble remembering things. but these are tolerable compared to what i've had to deal with in the last 15 years. I switch the patch back and forth from right upper thigh to left upper thigh, it helps to stick if you hold your palm over it for about 30 seconds, the heat & pressure makes it stay on longer. I get very minor skin irritation but if i did i doubt it would stop me from taking it. Most antidepressants will give you side effects, but for me Emsam has positives that outweigh the negatives. :)

Related Reading: insomnia | constipation | anxiety

Comment from: Michelle , 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 24

After trying over a half dozen anti-depressants over the past few years, this is the only drug that has worked well. No problems with skin irritation or any other side effects except some night sweats. Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance does cover the cost minus the co-pay, but with the mail order option, I only have to pay one co-pay every three months ($100). I am extremely satisfied with Emsam.

Related Reading: night sweats

Comment from: sweetmw023, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 06

I have been on the emsam patch for a year now and I have had less episodes of crying and feeling depressed am experiencing high levels of anxiety right now.For anyone who is having a hard time keeping the patch on I have found that cleaning the area with rubbing alchohol first and then applying benzoin tencture compound then putting the patch on it will not come off till you take it off.It works very well.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 28

Initially I started on the 6mg. patch, raised to 9mg. after 1 month. I showed improvement after 2nd month. Some side effects are swelling in hands, slight rashs, tingling in feet and buzzing in head, some ringing in ears. Depression was severe and now mood has improved significantly. Hopefully, I will not experience any urinary retention like I have with Nardil after a six month period forcing me to discontinue that MAOI.My psychiatrist is going to try alternating between a 6mg. & a 9mg. patch on a every other day basis. My fingers are crossed that it may lessen these side effects and I will be able to stay on this medication for a long time.

Related Reading: urinary retention | Nardil